Uptick in posts by new members seeking donations

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
My one complaint would i guess be a feature request to allow us to some how filter out the kwad share posts from the show "todays posts". Its adding so many posts that i dont care to see as im looking for posts i am interested in.

Righto, from what I understand that is all taken care of now with the help of ROBERT! He is the man!

Stefan

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
oh ok. Thats great. I never noticed that button. I always used "todays Posts". What is the difference between those two buttons?

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Others think they can pop in first post and someone is going to give up a set of goggles.. NOT
I did lol at the guy who’s first post was that his box goggles were not good enough, so he “needed” some Fatshark HD2s.

I’m all for bending over backwards and giving away spare parts to help new guys, but let’s be reasonable people.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
oh ok. Thats great. I never noticed that button. I always used "todays Posts". What is the difference between those two buttons?

The 'New' button pulls up any new post since you last logged into the forum, even if that's multiple days or weeks

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

Today's posts shows you all the posts from today (last 24 hours?) . Beyond that, there's no filter.

The new posts only shows you ones that have new posts since the last time you logged on.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I did lol at the guy who’s first post was that his box goggles were not good enough, so he “needed” some Fatshark HD2s.

I’m all for bending over backwards and giving away spare parts to help new guys, but let’s be reasonable people.

Same here. I'll go out to the field and take with me a bunch of 3D printed things that I know are beneficial to people - XT60 battery caps, motor mounts for FT designs, control horns, covers for the LCD screens on the Fatshark goggles...But some of what people are asking for is a little ridiculous.

"Anyone have a DX8/DX9 transmitter they want to donate?"

"I could use a fully built drone for racing..."

"Anyone want to donate a ground station for my club?" (This last one, if it were for a STEM club at a school, or CAP, maaaaaybe it might happen, but probably not)

The expensive stuff isn't going to come freely. I might give someone a set of props at the field, saying, "Here, try these out..." but at $3-$4 a package, it's not going to break my pocketbook. $350-$550 for a set of goggles, on the other hand? No.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Honestly, last week I was happy to send a new guy a set of 4 Chee Pass 2205 motors (they came in a Kwad Box) for the cost of shipping ($7). Previously, he was using Banggood Racerstars on his first quad, but he bent the bell on two of them. I also filled the flat rate box with six different sets of props (HQ, Racekraft, Gemfan, etc) to give him some different options to try out. I’ve amassed loads of different props that I’ll never make it all the way through. I was extremely happy to be in a position to help get this guy back in air.

jtrops

Same here. I'll go out to the field and take with me a bunch of 3D printed things that I know are beneficial to people - XT60 battery caps, motor mounts for FT designs, control horns, covers for the LCD screens on the Fatshark goggles...But some of what people are asking for is a little ridiculous.

"Anyone have a DX8/DX9 transmitter they want to donate?"

"I could use a fully built drone for racing..."

"Anyone want to donate a ground station for my club?" (This last one, if it were for a STEM club at a school, or CAP, maaaaaybe it might happen, but probably not)

The expensive stuff isn't going to come freely. I might give someone a set of props at the field, saying, "Here, try these out..." but at $3-$4 a package, it's not going to break my pocketbook. $350-$550 for a set of goggles, on the other hand? No.

As a sponsor of a high school flying club I can tell you that the expensive stuff does get donated more often than you think. It's not always what we are looking for, but the fact that it is teaching students about flying, and that the donation will impact multiple students over years is a big difference.

I really do appreciate the intention behind community sharing programs like this, but it doesn't seem like it was well thought out.

I have sent parts to new members of other forums, but it was always an offer on my part. Not a request on theirs.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
As a sponsor of a high school flying club I can tell you that the expensive stuff does get donated more often than you think. It's not always what we are looking for, but the fact that it is teaching students about flying, and that the donation will impact multiple students over years is a big difference.

I really do appreciate the intention behind community sharing programs like this, but it doesn't seem like it was well thought out.

I have sent parts to new members of other forums, but it was always an offer on my part. Not a request on theirs.

And with a high school club, it's a little different than that of one person. The club usually has the semblance of the school attached to it, and people assume that the equipment will stay with the school, benefiting more than one user. But even then, it's not as easy as one kid asking without any forms, any records of said club...

I guess I just see it as a form of begging, anymore...

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
One problem is that the Kwad Share section has the same FT header and is the same forum as the rest of the site. People register for Kwad Share, klick on "Forum" and swap over here where they find "New Users post here" and just ask for stuff.

I'm pretty sure setting this up was a quick shot with Robert not having the time to do it in a different way. I am a little concerned how he is going to keep up this more or less separation of sections with the new forum.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
That could be challenging. I'm thinking that someone who genuinely wants in to the hobby might also want to connect with the community which is certainly what we want also. We wouldn't want to make that too difficult or make them feel unwelcome.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Simple solution would be to make Kwad Share a separate entity like the Store and Articles and have separate log ins. The giving people here who are able to help out would have no problems doing a different log in to go offer parts to people in need when they have available things to pass on. That removes it from the normal happenings of every day forum activity yet gives both sides access to help and while keeping the "Begging bowl" isolated until more defined limitations of the process can be worked out. That way the no begging rule can be enforced here and people can still decide whom they wish to help in need for real and not just looking for free gear in the Kwad Share forum.