Use Caution Mounting Servos!

dryhiker

Hopefully this helps someone. I had an aileron servo on a Tiny Trainer lock up when glued down. I took it apart to see if I had melted the gears and I had not. The potentiometer (position sensor) under the output shaft had been overheated and locked in place. This was a 4.7 gram servo and fortunately I had bought some extras. I recommend keeping your glue blob away from the output-shaft side of the servo when gluing them in place, and putting glue on the foamboard rather than the servo probably is wise too.

Andy.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Whilst my reasons were not the same as yours, when I build my TTs I do not cut out the wing servo holes until after the wing is assembled and "Minwaxed". I then mark and cut out the servo mounting holes in the wing underside so that the hole is slightly smaller than the servo to be fitted. After fitting the wires through, (servo leads, "Y" harness, and the servo extension if required), I force the servo into the hole.

When in position I then add a bead of Hotmelt around the hole where the servo body rests to lock it in position and stop it from falling out.

It lasts a long time, well so far never had a loose servo, but if I wish to replace or salvage the servo I just peel off the glue and lever the servo out of the hole. Works a treat, is cheap on the glue, and so far has been shown to be quick to build and repair.

Just what works for me.

Have fun!

Whilst my reasons were not the same as yours, when I build my TTs I do not cut out the wing servo holes until after the wing is assembled and "Minwaxed". I then mark and cut out the servo mounting holes in the wing underside so that the hole is slightly smaller than the servo to be fitted. After fitting the wires through, (servo leads, "Y" harness, and the servo extension if required), I force the servo into the hole.

When in position I then add a bead of Hotmelt around the hole where the servo body rests to lock it in position and stop it from falling out.

It lasts a long time, well so far never had a loose servo, but if I wish to replace or salvage the servo I just peel off the glue and lever the servo out of the hole. Works a treat, is cheap on the glue, and so far has been shown to be quick to build and repair.

Just what works for me.

Have fun!

this makes sense, i got lucky on my mini arrow that the servos were always a tight fit. infact could probably get away with not even glueing them inplace.

another thing you can do is set your heatgun to the low setting if it has one. I do the same though and hotglue around the servo hole on the foam and not on the servo itself.

dryhiker

Makes sense!

That makes sense. I will try that. The Tiny Trainer fuselage servos have only the side wall to stick to, however. Tape or some other means may be useful there. I only killed the one servo so maybe I can avoid it effectively in the future, even with the hot glue method. It sure is convenient.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
For the fuselage servos you can make a "U" shaped servo carrier insert and cut the servos into the side of the carrier do that they are flush with the outside edge. Jam the servo in place and add the line of glue and when the servos are mounted to the carrier the carrier can be fitted into the fuselage and slid into position. When in position the servo carrier can be secured with a couple of skewers.

Makes the servos easier to fit and remove and even able to slide forward or backwards to help with balance or CG.

Just what worked for me!

Have fun!