Help! Using BetaFPV F3 Brushed FC (Frsky RX + OSD V2) Where is the beeps and Telemetry?

LanceK

I have a new BetaFPV 75S using the F3 Brushed Flight Controller (Frsky RX + OSD V2). I have flashed BetaFlight 3.5 and have the micro flying using a Frsky Taranus QX7. The micro is silent on plugging in battery, arming, unarming etc. NO Beeping. What did I miss in BetaFlight Configurator?

Second problem is I can’t get telemetry for the micro on the Taranus QX7. Did I miss something again in BetaFlight Configurator?

I am pretty new at the multirotor hobby. But love the challenge and the search for answers to my questions.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I've never heard a beep from any of my brushed quads motors, I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the ESC or motors or both. I've also never seen a piezo buzzer on a nano, probably because of size and weight.

Telemetry is an option that has to be enabled in the ports tab and configuration tab. Since the Rx is built in to the FC, you'll have to check the manual to find out which UART it's connected to in order to enable it in the ports tab.

LanceK

I've never heard a beep from any of my brushed quads motors, I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the ESC or motors or both. I've also never seen a piezo buzzer on a nano, probably because of size and weight.

Telemetry is an option that has to be enabled in the ports tab and configuration tab. Since the Rx is built in to the FC, you'll have to check the manual to find out which UART it's connected to in order to enable it in the ports tab.

Thank you for looking in on this ElectriSean. My Betaflight settings are: Port Page, Uart 2 is where I have the Serial RX on. Uart1 has SmartPort/Auto under the telemetry column, under Sensor Input all are Disabled/Auto, under the Peripherals all are disabled/Auto. On the Configuration Page Telemetry is on.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
UART1 is broken out on the board, so I doubt that the receivers smart port is connected there. Are there only 2 ports available in the ports tab aside from the USB/VCP?

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I also have a brushed micro and do not hear any sounds when plugging it in. As for the telemetry, the RX built into the FC might not support telemetry.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
As for the telemetry, the RX built into the FC might not support telemetry.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too, but the manual says it is able to have VTx remote control via the Lua script, which requires telemetry...

LanceK

UART1 is broken out on the board, so I doubt that the receivers smart port is connected there. Are there only 2 ports available in the ports tab aside from the USB/VCP?

Under the Identifier, first line usb vcp, second line uart1, third line uart2 and fourth line uart3. Are you saying that even though the micro flies now, I could move the smartport down to uart3?

LanceK

I guess whoever wrote the manual did a copy n paste of some generic VTx remote control text... Not surprising ;)
Yes it looks like your right. I wanted to set up a low battery warning on the Taranus. I guess I could add a timer to keep me from exhausting the battery. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate this forum being here.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
On my micro I spent time flying a battery and checking the voltage every 30s to see how long it would last. I ended up determining a 1s 300mAh will last 2.5 mins and a 1s 750 mAh will last 7 min. I put those two times as timers on my Taranis and have been flying using that. Of course if you can get voltage on the OSD that is more useful.

Worse case the battery gets low you can't sustain flight. These small 1s batteries are pretty tough and won't be too angry if you do that every once and awhile.

w1lp33

Looks like I was partly wrong... The v2 does have a smartaudio port, for vtx control through OSD. It does say it can do Lua scripts, so it should be capable of telemetry, unless thats a misstatement...

So hypothetically if in the ports tab you have 3 uarts, one will be your serial Rx, uart1 is smartaudio, and if there's one left over, try turning smartport on in that UART... I don't know. I didn't realize they released a new f3 version. Thought the smartaudio feature was just on the f4 board they released.