Help! Using FlySky-i6X to control non-differential car

Jovi_boy

Hello,

I am new to RF technology and need help solving a problem my team has. Currently, I have the FlySky-i6X transmitter with the FS-iA6B receiver. I am trying to control 4 brushless DC motors to move a car (1 motor for each wheel). I understand that there is no differential steering involved with this and is not optimal. I have the appropriate PDB and ESC necessary for this as the motors are able to spin on some channels of the FlySky receiver.

My question is this: How do I control two sides of the car (2 motors) with only 2 joysticks? Or even, how can I control the entire rover using only the joystick that moves in both x and y directions using the FlySky-i6X transmitter user interface? So far, we've tried messing with the Mix setting by assigning one joystick channel to control two channels, but that doesn't seem to work as intended.

Thank you and let me know if any more information is needed.

evranch

You are trying to basically set up skid steer style steering? One joystick for each side of the car? 4 ESCs?

Simplest solution, use only 2 channels on your receiver. All black wires are connected, only one red wire is connected to power the receiver, join the signal wires for each side into pairs and run them to those 2 channels. That way channel 1 will command both left ESCs and channel 2 will command both right ESCs.

If you want to use 4 channels so you can trim the motor speeds or set the front/rear bias...

I've never used FlySky personally, but with OpenTX you would set up the outputs so that channels 1 and 2 both have the same input source (joystick 1), and channels 3 and 4 have the same input source (joystick 2). It's almost definitely possible to set up a mix so that you can use the right stick only, but since you don't have OpenTX I'm not going to try to figure it out.

This is pretty much what you said you did, but it's not working. How does the car behave?

Reactions: FDS

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The short answer is to use an elevon mix to control 2 channels - the left and right wheels.

This video is for OpenTX, but should be similar to your Flysky.