UUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHH!! QUADS!

Trains1213_YT

I dont know weather to go medium sized or small sized with a quad. also have any suggestions on fpv headsets with diversity under 120$

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Quad sizes are usually classed by prop size, so it would be useful to know what you call small and medium.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Nothing wrong with starting in the nano class (inductrix etc) - they are a ton of fun and hard to break. They aren't great outside though, it doesn't take much wind to mess up your flight. Anything bigger I wouldn't recommend for inside use, as the power and speed goes up dramatically with brushless motors.

If you are starting from the beginning, get a radio and a sim like Velocidrone or Liftoff and get your first thousand crashes out of the way without damaging aircraft or other property ;)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You could spend twenty bucks and get a JJJRC H33. My son and I did aerial combat with them. They are nigh indestructible and a whole lot of fun. We didn't only crash them together once. We crashed them together evening after evening. We had a blast with those things.

Then I upgraded to a JJRC H31, stuck a camera on it and got a FXT Viper headset. It's full diversity (though I did upgrade the antennas) It's got onboard DVR and will do everything you want a headset to do. It's about $160.

The H31 is actually waterproof, and if you tweak the controls you can fly forward at a nearly 90 degree vertical. It's darn impressive for the thirty bucks it costs. They're toy-grade quads, but definitely worth the money to learn how to fly.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
Also for most indoor or basic learning stuff you won’t need diversity, a good cloverleaf antennae and decent VTX will be enough. You won’t be flying inside high clutter spots or long range when you learn, the Eachine 800 or 800d both have “diversity” in that they have two antennae. They are both under $100?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
If you want a cheap, decent diversity headset, I'd recommend the Quanum Cyclops Diversity goggles. $100 through HobbyKing, and they now come with a DVR that records to a Micro SD card. I paid $60 for the V2 version, which does not have diversity, but was a great first pair of goggles. They fit over glasses (which is a big thing for me), they have a scan button to scan through the various channels until it finds a signal (perfect for those ride-alongs when you don't want someone handling expensive Fatsharks), and they work with just about EVERYTHING.

Only complaint with these goggles are that they're bulky, but at $100, for diversity AND a DVR, it ain't bad...

Trains1213_YT

If you want a cheap, decent diversity headset, I'd recommend the Quanum Cyclops Diversity goggles. $100 through HobbyKing, and they now come with a DVR that records to a Micro SD card. I paid $60 for the V2 version, which does not have diversity, but was a great first pair of goggles. They fit over glasses (which is a big thing for me), they have a scan button to scan through the various channels until it finds a signal (perfect for those ride-alongs when you don't want someone handling expensive Fatsharks), and they work with just about EVERYTHING.

Only complaint with these goggles are that they're bulky, but at $100, for diversity AND a DVR, it ain't bad...
I want to get the ev100s and put a fatshark battery in it.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
What were they like for fogging and focal distance?

The Cyclops? Never had a problem with them fogging. I think that's because the screen sat far enough away from my face that they wouldn't fog.

FDS

Elite member
Also there’s nothing special about Fatshark batteries. Most alternative sets have XT60 plugs on, meaning you can use high capacity low discharge Liion or Lipo receiver packs. I bet those are mostly less $ than a Fatshark battery...

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Fatshark batteries are actually pretty bad. Their lithium ion case is okay, but I find it too bulky to wear in the strap, so I ended up buying an extension and keep it in my pocket.