Help! V - 2nd R/C plane

Which plane Should I do?

• Total voters
Hello Everybody,

My name is Vunal, and I am in 6th grade, 12 years old. This is my first forum post. I followed Mr. Josh Bixler and built his FT scout. I got it to fly about 50 feet before the plane nosedived. I think the plane was pretty nose-heavy, so its remarkable it actuary took off. Any feedback, so I can actually fly my next plane? Building the plane was easy...ish (since I have a quite a bit of experience building things out of cardboard and paper, I've been doing this for about 2 years.) Now I am looking to build another airplane. I feel that I am okay/good at building things, so I am looking at the Master Series Spitfire or Mustang, or Julius Perdana's P-51. I am also looking for a kind of scale looking, Spitfire, P-51 Mustang, TBF Avenger, Hellcat, Bearcat or SBD Dauntless since they are my favorite warbirds. Since you guys know way more than me at this hobby, do you have any suggestions or ideas? I attached a photo of the FT scout I built. Thank you so much in advance!
IMG_3482.jpg

Thank you,
Vunal

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Well if you couldn't get the scout to fly then anything more advanced is a bad idea. I would recommend actually going down in difficulty to a tiny trainer. You will have a much higher chance of success with that plane and later on you can move to bigger warbirds. The master series planes will take more time to build and they will be much harder to fly than a lot of the other FT planes.

boogieloo

Hello Everybody,

My name is Vunal, and I am in 6th grade, 12 years old. This is my first forum post. I followed Mr. Josh Bixler and built his FT scout. I got it to fly about 50 feet before the plane nosedived. I think the plane was pretty nose-heavy, so its remarkable it actuary took off. Any feedback, so I can actually fly my next plane? Building the plane was easy...ish (since I have a quite a bit of experience building things out of cardboard and paper, I've been doing this for about 2 years.) Now I am looking to build another airplane. I feel that I am okay/good at building things, so I am looking at the Master Series Spitfire or Mustang, or Julius Perdana's P-51. I am also looking for a kind of scale looking, Spitfire, P-51 Mustang, TBF Avenger, Hellcat, Bearcat or SBD Dauntless since they are my favorite warbirds. Since you guys know way more than me at this hobby, do you have any suggestions or ideas? I attached a photo of the FT scout I built. Thank you so much in advance!
View attachment 194380
Thank you,
Vunal
DIY version Flite Test Store kits. BTW: What does DIY stand for?

Bo123

Elite member
Another suggestion is the Ft Tutor. It is a really versatile plane, and is really easy to fly.

boogieloo

Yeah, looks good. I was thinking hard also about starting with that DIY. But I wanted one of my own. So I just made one. It is still in the shop. Waiting on the correct battery mAhours. Lipo or TATTU battery. Happy for you and your new found hobby. Hope it goes well.

Last edited:

SSgt Duramax

I second the tiny trainer. The mini scout was a little hard for my daughter to handle. It ended up kissing the ground rather hard. I am not sure if I can (or I want to) save it. The larger one is probably easier to fly. I think I may scale up the mini scout again.

Do you have the full size motor, or are you limited to minis? I second the tiny trainer if that is the case. It is more difficult to put together than the scout, but very easy to fly. Be sure to go easy with the glue, and make sure you don't make it tail heavy.

What size battery are you using? Our tiny trainer did great with a 1000 Mah 2s. It is heavy in the mini scout.

When ever you do start looking at master builds, if you like to scratch build from plans, 13th Squadron has some neat planes and free plans. I've never flown one, but I am cutting templates and parts for their F6F as we speak. They have a mini zero if you want to stick to minis.

boogieloo

Avenger. Where have I seen that before? Peter Sribol. He made those neat videos. Very nice. I saw that video too. It was pretty cool. I saw the flying car that he made. That was pretty neat. How'd you guys end up seeing that Avenger? If you are talking about the Avenger, as in the one Peter Sribol made?

You guys saw Julius Perdana too on the website? He's good. But he doesn't have a runway to work with. So a lot of his airplanes are tailored towards that, junk airfield. So broke a lot of the times. Where does Julius Perdana live? Julius Perdana makes those nice compartments on his airplane. Where are you from? I'm curious to know.

Last edited:

boogieloo

Okay. If any body here figures out the pushrods for the ailerons, give us a tip here. It should just work on pushrods alone. Really.
Because I think i already got the setup on the pushrods. Using 1 mm steal rods and springs and nothing else. It should work with just one servo. Making it 3 servos to the flight. And that 2200 Kv Brushless motor, just one engine i needed. With the battery. And this coming from the Pack c twin edition.

Last edited:

bisco

Elite member
Okay. If any body here figures out the pushrods for the ailerons, give us a tip here. It should just work on pushrods alone. Really.
Because I think i already got the setup on the pushrods. Using 1 mm steal rods and springs and nothing else. It should work with just one servo. Making it 3 servos to the flight. And that 2200 Kv Brushless motor, just one engine i needed. With the battery. And this coming from the Pack c twin edition.
you need the servo in the middle, with a double arm and a rod to each aileron horn. 1mm is way to heavy for that application