V-Tail Boom Length & Material

XLCior

Hi,

Latest video from the Crazy Swede has me motivated to create my first quad. I've ordered the various components, but have a couple of questions I'm hoping you all can help me with:

1. What are the boom lengths, and how did David go about determining them? From the video, I'm guessing that the v-tail booms are 10" and the front booms are (10"-4cm)? Any idea why the front are shorter?
  2. Can I use 1/2" balsa for the booms? (Hobby shop only had enough for 2 booms in bass wood, so I could use those for the tail, if needed, to reduce flex.)
  3. Where did the 40 degree motor angle come from? David mentioned that this to match the kk2 controller, but I'm wondering where this is documented?

Thanks!

XLCior

blinkerz

The boom lengths are the ones in the store..From the description .. Wooden Arms (1/2" x 10") or (13mm X 250mm)

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
There's no need to get overly concerned about boom length as long as it's not crazy long or crazy short. All of that, as well as the quad or tri's CG off a bit (10-15% of the motor-to-motor distance) will be compensated by the FCB with no major ill effects. Believe me. I've had my quad of 28" M2M with a CG off by 4" and it still flew fine.

As well, if your booms are somewhat long or short, the FCB PI can be tweaked to adjust.

In general however, longer booms make for a more docile flyer and shorter booms make for quicker physical response "twitchy".

Find a good tutorial, pay attention to the basics, and it will all go ok. :):cool:

XLCior

Thanks Cyber, Blinkerz. I think I'll give it a shot based on the Tricopter specs, and then report back. (Somewhere around 12.5" front booms and 15" back booms...)

Thanks!