V-Tail motor mount un-happyness

FrankB

FrankB
So, bought the V-Tail motor mounts, had a hell of a time getting them onto booms that I painted, which resulted in one of the bottom sides that goes on the bottom of the boom breaking. Glued it back on, used a zip tie to secure the whole thing to the boom.
Did some test flying which resulted in some crashes while I tuned it, and broke 2 more. So out of the 4 individual sides that loop to the bottom of the wood boom, 3 have broken off.

Wood apparently just isn't strong enough for this. Without my zip ties around the whole thing, I'd have crashed way worse.

Is there any way to get FT to make these in G10 ? Hell I have G10 sitting here, but I dont have the tools to easily replicate these parts.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from anyone. Maybe there are better way to mount the motors than using these motor mounts.

Thanks!
-Frank

H Frank,

Sorry I don't have thoughts but rather another question...

A while ago I was looking at these v-tail mounts and was confused about how they are used. It seems like you would have to install them in an A-tail configuration otherwise the props would smack into each other. Could you please post a pic? I really want to see how you did it.

helinor

On my all wooden batbone I made my own motor mount out of some sheet metal bent to 40 degrees angle and some modified X525 quad motor mounts

2014-03-25 10.15.41 (Medium).jpg

2014-03-23 14.15.07 (Medium).jpg

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
As long as you don't get too ambitious, a wet tile cutter will cut G10 with no effort. You can also cut small internal cuts and finish angle cuts with a hack-saw blade. If you're patient you can do a decent job. No curved cuts I'm afraid.

FrankB

FrankB
H Frank,

Sorry I don't have thoughts but rather another question...

A while ago I was looking at these v-tail mounts and was confused about how they are used. It seems like you would have to install them in an A-tail configuration otherwise the props would smack into each other. Could you please post a pic? I really want to see how you did it.

Yeah I did it as a A-Tail. But with the spacing of my arms, I could swap the left and right angled brackets so they sit on the outside of the booms instead of the inside like now to make a V-Tail.

Maybe I will try that some day, but currently I like the looks of the A-Tail or upside down V-Tail :p

-Frank

IMG_20150826_211210197.jpg IMG_20150826_210459924.jpg IMG_20150826_210507337.jpg

FrankB

FrankB
As long as you don't get too ambitious, a wet tile cutter will cut G10 with no effort. You can also cut small internal cuts and finish angle cuts with a hack-saw blade. If you're patient you can do a decent job. No curved cuts I'm afraid.

I've got a dremel and a small hobby/craft 4inch table saw. both cut the G10 fine. i could use the other attachments and make something in G10 I suppose. just would rather buy something nice or build something without much time ... not much time these days for bulding.

murph

Frank using your dremel tool, if you buy the router table accessory it is relatively easy to use the original flite test parts as a template to cut parts out of G10. There are plenty of you tube clips on how to use routers and templates. I have succesfully cut out parts with carbon fibre sheet such as tricopter frames, etc using this method.