V-tail or Tri? Any payload difference?

Hi,

I've been trying to decide if I will build a tricopter or V-tail quad.

Will a V-tail let me carry more weight?

I hope to use the Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV Brushless Outrunner Motors. Will they be ok?

Mustang7302

A v-tail might carry more payload than a tri-rotor, but there are a few factors involved. The v-tail at an angle is inherently less efficient with vertical thrust; additionally you have to run smaller props on the rear for clearance issues which is a thrust dis-advantage once again.

If you're really worried about payload, I would suggest keeping it simple with a tri-rotor, using lower KV motors, and swing larger props for more lift. This is my plan if you glance at my Bat Bone build log.

blinkerz

of course if your thrashing a tricopter around, the servo can be a pain when taking knocks/falls etc..ending up stripping the servo

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
A v-tail might carry more payload than a tri-rotor, but there are a few factors involved. The v-tail at an angle is inherently less efficient with vertical thrust; additionally you have to run smaller props on the rear for clearance issues which is a thrust dis-advantage once again.

If you're really worried about payload, I would suggest keeping it simple with a tri-rotor, using lower KV motors, and swing larger props for more lift. This is my plan if you glance at my Bat Bone build log.

You make a good point about the angled thrust, however it is not necessary to use smaller props at the rear (you could even use larger props than the front), if you build to suit the equipment you select. If fact the original V-tails had the same motors/props all the way around.

On to the subject at hand. I am not sure about payload capacities, because I don't haul anything myself. I think a V-tail (with the same low kV motors, and large props) could support more payload than a Tri, but perhaps at the cost of efficiency.

Kogashuko

You make a good point about the angled thrust, however it is not necessary to use smaller props at the rear (you could even use larger props than the front), if you build to suit the equipment you select. If fact the original V-tails had the same motors/props all the way around.

On to the subject at hand. I am not sure about payload capacities, because I don't haul anything myself. I think a V-tail (with the same low kV motors, and large props) could support more payload than a Tri, but perhaps at the cost of efficiency.

I am converting my tri build into a vtail because of difficulties with the servo. For whatever reason the thing has major stability problems and the servo is a pain. I went with a tri originally instead of a quad for the handling aspect. However, looking at it it almost looks as if the vtail handles just about the same and maybe more responsive because of no servo.

The efficency of the tri vs quad was secondary. But if you think about it you are still doing the same amount of work. Instead of lifting x amount of wight with three motors you would still be lifting x amount with four. The load should be better distributed.

Thanks for this info. This is my first RC adventure so I currently know very little. It's looking like I'll go with a V-tail quad at this stage.

I have already ordered 4 motors all the same so I will try that first before I try smaller rear motors.

Could I run the same motors all around but smaller props on the rear if I have clearance issues?