V tail quad props facing in vs out

PKbunyi

Hey pilots, I got the 40 degree motor mounts from the store and am going to make a V tail quad soon. Is there any difference between the thrust going inward or outward? It seems like both ways will have there pros and cons. Thrust going in will get clean air but the trust is hitting each other. Thrust going out seems good but the props are sucking air from each other. That's how I think of it anyways. Any suggestions? Thanks.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I've seen it done both ways and have never seen anything on how one is better than the other. Build 2 and try it both ways.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I think so. Either config will have some sort of interaction in airflow on the rear. My guess is the FC board just compensates for it once you have it tuned.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hey pilots, I got the 40 degree motor mounts from the store and am going to make a V tail quad soon. Is there any difference between the thrust going inward or outward? It seems like both ways will have there pros and cons. Thrust going in will get clean air but the trust is hitting each other. Thrust going out seems good but the props are sucking air from each other. That's how I think of it anyways. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I vote for thrust going out. You can blow on a marshmallow from a foot away to make it roll, but you can only suck it up if you're close. In other worlds, thrust is aimed - suck is not.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I vote for thrust out too.

I have not built or messed with a vtail, but I do know prop wash/turbulence is totally unwanted. Move that air away from the copter. For control at a minimum. . .and to possibly limit erratic video recording if you're carrying a camera.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm flying thrust in, and not seen any problems. Tail doesn't look like a v, but still looks wicked cool and turns on a dime.

PKbunyi

Which plugs do I plug to which with the kk 2.0 board if I want to do thrust out or is it the same as thrust in?

You can plug them in the same way as for thrust out.

I think you will have to adjust the rudder values in the mixer editor though. For the rear motors (motors 3 and 4) change it from -100 to 100 and the other from 100 to -100.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
You can plug them in the same way as for thrust out.

I think you will have to adjust the rudder values in the mixer editor though. For the rear motors (motors 3 and 4) change it from -100 to 100 and the other from 100 to -100.

definitely in the same slots, otherwise you're begging for a flip from the roll correction.

Oddly enough, I didn't have to swap the rear rudder settings and I imagine most of those using thrust out didn't either. dunno how that can possibly work, but my rudder responds exactly as expected.