V22 VTOL scratch build??

My first forum post here. Hope I obeyed all the etiquette. :p

Just finished my first scratch build, a 4channel mix of a 300s and a Mustang. Still dialing in the CG. Used lots of tips and tricks from here! So thanks all for the inspiration!

But it got me thinking, how cool would it be to have a scratch built v22 Osprey or similar rotary VTOL? I think it would be totally doable with strong servos and the right setup, has anyone done it? I know there are some on the market, and I hear they're tricky to get used to flying. Has anyone done it? Or are up to the challenge?

Cheers

That's really neat, Tom. Your latest version is exactly what I had in mind. I didn't realize you'd need a copter board for it, but it makes sense and seems to be a good way of going about it. I'll be waiting excitedly for updates. Are you the first scratch builder you know of to build on of these things?

tomstanton

I'm not actually the first to have built this style of aircraft, though I was one of the first to use a kk board in this configuration. There is a thread on rcgroups with a collection of other rc VTOL aircraft that may give you some ideas: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2056389

For this style of VTOL, a copter board is definitely needed as it is naturally very unstable due to it being a bicopter. There is a free firmware for the kk2/kk2.1 boards that can be setup to almost any VTOL aircraft. It's called OpenAero VTOL and for the price of a kk board, it is 100% worth it!

Thank :)