Solved Valiant Power System

Mavic3939

Can the hangar 9 Valiant be run on the OS Max .46 AX 2 stroke nitro engine? I believe it is a 7.45 cc engine.

Last edited:

JennyC6

Elite member
The 46AX is an absolute beast and it will fly that airplane, however, it will be very underpowered. You won't have anything left to get you out of trouble, go-arounds are going to be difficult, your takeoff roll is going to be quite lengthy, you'll find headwinds as light as 5MPH pushing you backwards...it will fly a bit too scale. On top of that, you're going to have to run that engine as hard as it possibly can pretty much 24/7, so it's not going to last as long as it would if it were used in an airframe suitably sized for it.

That aircraft calls for an engine in the 30cc area, so you'll want something of that size range. OS makes a couple of gassers, DLE 30 is a cheap-and-cheerful option. You can fly it on glow power but it's generally not recommended; gasoline engines are more than capable of flying that plane with grace and ease while costing a mere fraction what a glow engine of that size will cost.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
You can fly it on glow power but it's generally not recommended; gasoline engines are more than capable of flying that plane with grace and ease while costing a mere fraction what a glow engine of that size will cost.

Not to mention the cost of fuel... Nitro is bloody ridiculous these days.

JennyC6

Elite member
Not to mention the cost of fuel... Nitro is bloody ridiculous these days.

Yup, what I was referring to but my flu-addled mind forgot a few words o_O

Glow costs aren't a big deal with the smaller stuff but when you start flying 30cc birds that $20/gallon fuel cost gets very painful right fast in a hurry.

Mavic3939

The 46AX is an absolute beast and it will fly that airplane, however, it will be very underpowered. You won't have anything left to get you out of trouble, go-arounds are going to be difficult, your takeoff roll is going to be quite lengthy, you'll find headwinds as light as 5MPH pushing you backwards...it will fly a bit too scale. On top of that, you're going to have to run that engine as hard as it possibly can pretty much 24/7, so it's not going to last as long as it would if it were used in an airframe suitably sized for it.

That aircraft calls for an engine in the 30cc area, so you'll want something of that size range. OS makes a couple of gassers, DLE 30 is a cheap-and-cheerful option. You can fly it on glow power but it's generally not recommended; gasoline engines are more than capable of flying that plane with grace and ease while costing a mere fraction what a glow engine of that size will cost.

I'm building thew 10cc version. Can the 46 AX handle that?

JennyC6

Elite member
I'm building thew 10cc version. Can the 46 AX handle that?
Mm, when I googled it the only result I got was the 30cc bird.

Looking over the 10cc one's specs and comparing them to my Hobbico NexSTAR ARF which is recommended to use the 46AX(And mine has one fitted), yeah, it'd fly that one fine. 7lbs, 69" span, give it an 11x5x3 or a 12x5x2 prop and itt'l zing around happy as can be. You won't be doing any 3D shenanigans with it but it will fly it with authority.