Variable airfoil wing.

awalsh134

Challenge:

1. Try to make an aircraft with wings that you can change the airfoil of in flight.
2. See if you can remove the ailerons and instead change one wings airfoil at a time for roll.
3. See if you can essentially flip over the airfoil in flight and get lift while flying inverted.

Extra challenging: convert all control surfaces to variable airfoils. Neutral for straight flight.

kacknor

Build another!
The Wright Brothers used a variable warp wing system to control their aircraft. I believe it was Glenn Curtiss who thought it impractical and invented ailerons.

JD

Crash and Burn RC

Geeterduuun
I have thought about this a lot and think it is a great idea. Especially when trying advanced turning maneuvers like slips and skids.

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
The Wright Brothers used a variable warp wing system to control their aircraft. I believe it was Glenn Curtiss who thought it impractical and invented ailerons.

JD

Actually I believe Curtiss used ailerons simply because the Wright brothers patented the wing warp system. At the time, wing warping was probably seen as the most elegant solution.