Variable Geometry And Adaptable Multi rotor Frame

Ultimate_Red

RC Groundling
Foreword
For a few days now I have been pondering and experimenting with the principle that is the Anycopter hub; It is a Multi rotor frame that is adaptable, expandable, versatile and simple. However, if I'm honest the Anycopter frame isn't good to look at.
Therefore, I planned to make a frame that incorporates the versatility of the Anycopter frame with the cool looks and performance of a BlackOut mini h-quad.

Initial Ideas
Whenever I am designing anything I will sit for a while holding a tape measure whilst throwing numbers through my head to find the right size for what I am designing. Of course those of you will have other methods, but this works for me and I'm content with it.
I decided on making the main frame section 5 inches by 7 inches as I think this is a good platform size.
With the knowledge of knowing that everyone now who has a Blackout mini h-quad flies with the 5"x3" props I decided to make sure that the arms of the Variable Multi Rotor™® (jks) were long enough to comply with these.
Then came the long process of figuring out how to make the Multi rotor frame adaptable.
Here is how I did it.

Variable Mulitrotor Base Plate 2.png
On the base plate above it has various holes with which the arms can be attached to.

Variable Mulitrotor Arm 2.png
And the same square pattern of holes can be found on the arms.
The intention was that the arms could be affixed onto the main plate simply via nuts and bolts like the Anycopter.

DSCF3744.JPG

Configurations Of The Variable Geometry Multi Rotor
The VG Multi rotor as it shall now be called can be arranged into 14 different combinations. (so far I have found)

The X4
DSCF3745.JPG

The I4
DSCF3747.JPG

The H4
DSCF3749.JPG

The +4
DSCF3752.JPG

The T3
DSCF3753.JPG

The Y3
DSCF3756.JPG

The Fork 3
DSCF3758.JPG

The Dead Cat 4
DSCF3760.JPG

The Hex6
DSCF3763.JPG

The Octo8
DSCF3765.JPG

The Hashtag8
DSCF3766.JPG

The SideY3
DSCF3768.JPG

The SideT3
DSCF3770.JPG

The Side Dead Cat 4
DSCF3772.JPG

Plans For The Coming Days
I plan to create a Clean and dirty frame for this like these.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__61390__Laser230_FPV_Quadcopter_Composite_Kit_230mm_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Folding_Mini_FPV_Quad_Copter_200mm_KIT_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__61388__FPV250LH_Low_Hung_Clean_and_Dirty_KIT_.html
http://www.minihquad.com/frames/mini-h-quad/blackout-mini-h-quad

Any questions or advice let me know.

Safe Flying!

engineer

I like it!
How far apart are the corners? Your H4 and Hashtag8 might have trouble if the spacing is smaller than 6 inches. Maybe angle those orientations just a little to make it fit a bit better and add stability.
Only other additional thought might be to placement of servos for Tri's, or perhaps a separate arm specifically for that.

Ultimate_Red

RC Groundling
I like it!
How far apart are the corners? Your H4 and Hashtag8 might have trouble if the spacing is smaller than 6 inches. Maybe angle those orientations just a little to make it fit a bit better and add stability.
Only other additional thought might be to placement of servos for Tri's, or perhaps a separate arm specifically for that.

Thank You!
I hadn't foreseen the space difficulties with those. Thank you for bringing them into consideration.
I think the best thing to do is to increase the width of the main frame bottom section and increase the length of the arms.
Although increasing the width of it will make it 7 inch by 7 inch which I don't feel comfortable with but it will have to do. :p
Also, yes a separate arm for the Tri would be necessary but I haven't thought about the mechanism as such yet.
I will keep you posted :)

Ultimate_Red

RC Groundling
Improvements
I have increased the width to 7 inch by 7 inch and added some extra holes for anti vibration dampeners. I have also finished the 'Cage' as I call it that goes on top and creates a Clean and dirty system.
I took inspiration from this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__61390__Laser230_FPV_Quadcopter_Composite_Kit_230mm_.html
I like that the quad in the link has red anodised aluminium to space the top and bottom sections of the 'cage'. I plan to use them in mine but I can't find them anywhere.
Here are some screenshots.

Arm dimensions 6" x 1"
Variable Mulitrotor Arm 3.png

Top Cage Plate dimensions 6" x 6"
Variable Mulitrotor Cage Top Plate 3.png

Base Cage Plate dimensions 6" x 6"
Variable Mulitrotor Cage Base Plate 3.png

Base Plate dimensions 7" x 7"
Variable Mulitrotor Base Plate 3.png

Safe Flying!

Ultimate_Red

RC Groundling
Has anyone got any suggestions of what this should be made out of?
I was thinking carbon fibre but that could be too expensive and I've never worked with it before.
And then I don't know what electronics should go in it.
Any suggestions?

Safe Flying!

HawkMan

best option would seem to be the glass fiber material use on the electrohub and on the HK multirotors.

also I honestly prefered size of the original "long" baseplate and would think it would be a better option to have that with the option or longer or shorter arms depending on the platform you're making, a small fast nimble one, or longer arms, for a more stable one where the rotors would be to large/close for short arms.

Also if you use two holes in line for the arms instead of four in a square. it should be solid enough and it could use wood arms same as the FT Rotor Bones.

this would have been awesome as part of the FT rotor bones series with power connectors in the base plate like the hub. heck if you size and place the holes right. you could make it compatible with the electrohub as the base cage.

engineer

I don't know if cheaper or more durable than fiber/carbon/glass, but I use Lexan for my firewalls. Its plenty stiff and probably durable enough for a couple crashes. Picked up a 8" square for a couple bucks at my local hardware store.

mymaps

I'm stuck to planes, not multirotors, but I must give my congratulations, that's an awesome idea/design.

Some people here can CNC cut sheets of Carbon fiber, they might help you get that desing in CF, I think its the best material you can choose, durability!

Ultimate_Red

RC Groundling
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Firstly, Carbon fibre would be a logical material to use because its strong and light, however it is expensive and I am aiming to make this "anycopter" as such available to the "beginners who are kind of but not 100% beginners". Therefore I plan to make it out of aircraft grade plywood sheet of different thicknesses. Then for that reason it will need 4 holes to brace it.

Secondly, If someone would be kind enough to cut the FINAL plans out of carbon fibre I would be very happy, but they're not done yet and I would have to make them into PDF which I haven't yet.

Finally, Does anyone have a Blackout mini h-quad? The 250 sized I mean. If so could they post a list of all their electronics and flying weight.
Thanks!

Safe Flying!

Ultimate_Red

RC Groundling
Plywood does seem like the better option for it's intended use.
I was thinking that 3mm and 5mm ply should work fine.