Velocity XL or V-Twin Plans/Builds?

lonewolf7717

As if I needed another project, saw a Velocity V-Twin fly into the airport I work in and around yesterday.....mmmmmmm thats one SEXY A$$ machine! Came straight home after work to see if there were any models out there on the market......zip, nada, zilch, nothing. I am almost wrapped up with flying wing build and will post pics tonight of the progress but the wind has been blowing non-stop every weekend I have off so maybe a maiden next weekend. Also have the DLG from Valuehobby on its way but have to give this gorgeous Velocity craft a go, even if it means just getting my hands on the plans for now if there are any floating around out there. Have some good topview and profile pics and would be easy enough to trace/scale in Sketchup but just curious if anyone out there has seen a model or tried a scratchbuild. May fly like hell scaled down but have to give it a try here soon.
profile velocity.jpg VelocityTopView.jpg velocity-We-20Dec06-63.jpeg velocity-xl-ocean-small.jpg 121203YIP-19.jpg

earthsciteach

I'll poke around the net and see if I can find any. I am sure there are TONS of Vari-eze and Long-Ez plans out there. Those are Burt Rutan's designs that the Velocity unabashedly emulates.

lonewolf7717

Thanks teach! I swear I did look around before posting a new thread and did find that first link you added but it seemed to die off on the first page. No updates as to progress or maiden results. I did find that kmp model mentioned but aside from that nothing. Have loved the Long EZ for some time now but the Velocity V-Twin I saw Saturday rolling down the tarmac made my jaw drop. Just finished my hot wire bow couple weeks back so thinking this will be a pink foam build up. New job working around the airport has the wonderful advantage of being able to eat my sack lunch outside the Captains lobby watching planes come and go.

earthsciteach

Suuuweet! May I suggest glassing this model? If you can spring for the West System epoxy, so much the better. If you are cheap like me, Minwax Polycrylic works just fine.

lonewolf7717

Thinking the same thing, although I have tried the polycrylic and glass on this pink foam several times with mixed results. Matter of fact think I still have some laying around somewhere but the problem I have noticed is with the relative "softness" of the foam underneath any bump or ding compresses foam separating it from glass. This can make for fairly unsightly crinkles and cracks in the glass/polycrylic where adhesion has been broken. Anything extra you do to create a better bond between foam and glass aside from "roughing" up the surface a bit?

earthsciteach

The ONE glass aircraft I've built was done with very thin glass cloth, so I think that helps with adhesion. Yes, the polycrylic is softer and is prone to allowing compression. But, it seems to have hardened more over time. The shell is pretty solid now.