Versa/Blunt Nose/Pun Jet - MASHUP

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
It's been almost two years since I destroyed my last Versa Wing. It was a pusher and I managed to fold the wings on it, it was a pretty spectacular event. Since then, I started to build a Blunt Nose Versa, but scrapped the whole thing after I found out my Turnigy 2200 mAh 3S1P LiPo's wouldn't fit inside the blunt nose. You can put them in there, but you can't close the battery hatch door all the way. I think others have stated that without FPV gear in it, it still needs nose weight to balance out with a 2200 as well. So, I decided to try and make a wing that corrects those issues. For this concept, I scaled up the fuselage of the Pun Jet, made it a lot wider, and then cut it to fit the center wing section of the Blunt Nose. Here is what I have so far.

20150611_064601.jpg

It is 95% complete. I'm hoping to maiden it this weekend sometime. There are some tweaks that will be needed to strengthen up the nose section a bit. Just wondering if there is any interest out there for me to make plans available for this mod?

UPDATE 6-15-2015

No maiden yet, but the weather report for tomorrow is looking good. I've figured out the CG (based on the BNV CG location) with a pair of 4S 1300 mAh nano techs.

20150615_233032.jpg

20150615_233105.jpg

I'm a little dissapointed that my 3S 2200 mAh battery seems to be slightly tail heavy with the battery all the way up in the nose. Oh well, I was planning on making a completely new wing design anyway. After I see how it flies with the 2 1300's I may try the 2200 anyway.

Here shee is all buttoned up and ready for the maiden (hopefully tomorrow).

20150615_233154.jpg

20150615_233219.jpg

UPDATE 6-16-2015

Well the maiden of the Mashup was a...SMASHUP! :black_eyed:

Just a dumb mistake on my part trying to rush the maiden over my lunch break, but man the weather was perfect for it. Flight only lasted about 20 seconds though. My initial trim up on the elevons was way to much and uneven. It started to climb and roll to the left instantly. I managed to almost level off at about 50 feet but then it just started to spin in. I cut power and tried to get it straight be she piled in nose first pretty hard. That's why they call it Flite TEST, right?

20150616_122852.jpg

20150616_122858.jpg

It's repairable and I'm hoping to have it back in the air this week yet.

UPDATE 6-18-2015 #1

Repairs are done and it's ready to fly once again.

UPDATE 6-16-2015 #2

During my pre-flight check tonight I found my *BIG* mistake from the maiden flight. Ailerons were reversed. Total brain fart, because I checked them at least twice before I flew it. I got it all sorted out before I went to the field. I'm happy to report that Keegan and i both put a battery through it and it came home in one piece.

I think that it flies pretty well right now. I should have some video up for it sometime tonight. It looks pretty cool in the air too.

There is one change that I need to make. It needs bigger vertical stabilizers and they really need to stick down below the wing a little as well. I will get that change done and report back after another test flight. If I can keep it in one piece, I'll bring it along to Flite Fest.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Oh I'm fairly certain it will fly...at least once. :black_eyed:

I should have pointed out that I have an NTM PropDrive 28-30 1000kv motor on it. I'm going to test it on 3S and 4S with a 9x5 GWS prop. There is enough room in the nose for 2 2200 batteries!

20150610_192217.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Just threw it on the scale. Should be right around 500g after adding the wing tip plates. That's the AUW w/o battery.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Put the tip plates on it last night. Slight modification to the standard Versa tip plate. I cut them flat across the bottom so that the whole thing sits flat on the bottom of the wing. We'll see if there is enough vertical stabilization with that configuration or not soon enough. :)

20150614_112420.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Update the first post. More pics of the mashup. She's ready for the maiden flight which will hopefully happen tomorrow.

Povvercrazy

I really like this plane, looks such a natural combination if that's the right word,
Punjet and Versa were made for each other
I wonder what other 'Mash-ups' you could come up with :)

mad_milchmann

Yet another of your Projects I Really like. :applause:

I was about to build a blunt nose Versa as FPV ship (plans were already printed taped and cut). But then I started to build the Bloody Baron and forgot about it. Seems to be a good thing, since I also wanted to use a turnigy 3S 2200 and probably wouldn't have realized that it wont fit in before I finished the Plane. :eek:
The Versa is still on hold since I want to finish the new fuselage for the baby baron first and maybe build the tiny trainer after that, but the Versa is still planned for sometimes this year at least.

so I'm definetly going to follow this thread :)

Did you simply scale up the Pun Jet fuselage and stick it on the middle section of the blunt nose versa, or did you make any other changes as well? if there are major changes, are ther going to be plans? :)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Yet another of your Projects I Really like. :applause:

Did you simply scale up the Pun Jet fuselage and stick it on the middle section of the blunt nose versa, or did you make any other changes as well? if there are major changes, are ther going to be plans? :)

I scaled up the PJ fuselage and then widened it. I also widened it after I scaled it up. Then I fit it to the Versa wing profile. So, yes the changes are pretty significant.

If this thing works, and I can simplify the build process, and make it repeatable, then yes, there will be plans.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Updated first post with flight results from 6/16...the smashup. :black_eyed:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Success! It really helps when the ailerons aren't reversed. :black_eyed:

Flight video should be coming soon...

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Awesome to hear!!!

I can't wait to do something with that thing, not sure what yet, but I'm thinking an awesome combat ship.

Okie

Flite Test Aviatrix
It looks a little like mine

Attachments

• IMG_20150604_181902.jpg
    IMG_20150604_181902.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 14

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Designed some additional fins for it.

20150701_222106.jpg

They help, but it still needs some bigger tip plates and they definitely need to drop below the bottom of the wing to keep it more stable at slower speeds.