Versa Copter Naze set up

Zygerot

Ill Start by saying thank you flite test team for you naze set up vids i still reference the original vid from time to time.

However while watching the versa copter naze set up i noticed that setting up the fail safe was neglected. I believe setting a fail safe throttle setting to prevent fly aways is a very important step in the set up to protect you investment and for safety reasons.

Thanx for all flite tests contributions to the community.

quadsview

In my opinion, it is best just to set no failsafe so that if it loses connection it will just "fall from the sky" rather than risk it flying away and injuring someone.

William A

Billy did it....
Zygerot, I believe failsafe is more of a Rx thing. To many different ones out there to cover the subject.

Zygerot

In my opinion, it is best just to set no failsafe so that if it loses connection it will just "fall from the sky" rather than risk it flying away and injuring someone.

I'm not 100% positive but I believe not setting a fail safe will result in the last command IE throttle and attitude being maintained. Potentially resulting in a fly away.

Zygerot

Zygerot, I believe failsafe is more of a Rx thing. To many different ones out there to cover the subject.

In clean flight on the configuration tab near the bottom of the page is "Receiver failsafe" you check the box then set a throttle value. I use to set a throttle value that was just below hover to bring the quad down slow, however it was brought to my attention that this could A) cause the quad to drift away on dissent and make finding it harder and B) cause an esc fire potentially if a prop /motor were to get jammed up(unlikely but better safe than sorry). So now i set mine to 1000 below the minimum value that starts the motor spinning.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm not 100% positive but I believe not setting a fail safe will result in the last command IE throttle and attitude being maintained. Potentially resulting in a fly away.

That depends on the RX input -- serial/CPPM/PWM -- however setting the failsafe below min throttle (as you describe) gives you the fall-out-of-the-sky failsafe which limits the chance of a voyage of self discovery . . . and the potential third-party damage to follow. I agree; setting it up this way is a good idea.

Jck615

hello everyone, I need your help. I have flown mini quad before, but never built my own. I built the Versa copter with power pack E. I followed 100% to the video with the Naze 32 board,the only difference is I'm not using one shot because the ESC's c aren't compatible, and I'm using a 3 cell battery.my issue is when I give it the slightest throttle and hold it there the right side continues to throttle up and tries to flip it over. does anyone have any idea why that is? thank you for all your help.

Jck615

All the motors are spinning the right way and the props are correct. It's just odd that I don't increase the throttle but I can hear and see one side spooling up faster and faster till its about to flip. If it makes it easier I can take a video showing.

Billchuck

Two possibilities, given not nearly enough information:

Did you center the transmitter properly? If not, you may be telling it you want to flip. See if you can fly away from the flip to keep it level.

Do you have autolevel turned on? If so, and it isn't level when powered on, it will keep trying to get level.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
First make sure your board is oriented the correct way (with the arrow pointing toward the front). Then like Billchuck says make sure your receiver inputs are all centered at 1500. Last thing is to commit more with the take off. If you increase the throttle slowly or let the quad sit on the ground with the motors spinning for an extended amount of time you will see what you described. The quad will try to correct its position, but can not do to the ground, so some motors will begin spinning more than others. Try popping the quad into the air quickly, correcting orientation where needed, and confirming if it flips itself or not.

Jck615

never mind people, I got it working. turns out when you have the aileron and elevator switched on the rx funny things happen. Thanks for responding Spastickitten

Jck615

Thanks for everyone's input. It was just simple human error. She flys like a boss now. On another note, the thing is CRAZY snappy and responsive. I want to dumb it down a little till I get better at flying. Would you folks recommend adjusting expo on the controller or on the naze?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Naze.

there's a few rate options that you can change to shape how your inputs are interpreted, but you *want* to give the control board the clearest picture of your intentions and let it sort out what you meant by that.

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
Anyone set up their Naze with just a satellite RX? I've been flying 120mm micros with Alienwii FC's and like the simple satellite RX only set up. Just got my versacopter kit in the mail today and am still waiting for my Naze 32 to arrive. Anyone know the pro's and con's of using a sat RX only?

With the short antennae I know I'll need to mount it externally to avoid signal loss due to the carbon plates. And I purchased the Rev. level 6 Naze 32. Is it just a software change with the new revision or have other things changed on the board?

Fusebox

hello everyone, I need your help. I have flown mini quad before, but never built my own. I built the Versa copter with power pack E. I followed 100% to the video with the Naze 32 board,the only difference is I'm not using one shot because the ESC's c aren't compatible, and I'm using a 3 cell battery.my issue is when I give it the slightest throttle and hold it there the right side continues to throttle up and tries to flip it over. does anyone have any idea why that is? thank you for all your help.

First of all are you sue that all of your wires from the Naze board are plugged into the right channels? I just built a versacopter tonight as my first quad and I accidentally plugged the wires in wrong.

Second, make sure that you calibrate your ecs's. When I first hooked mine up, two of the motors would spool up early and the other two wouldn't spool up until about half stick! After I calibrated my esc's, everything spooled up normally.

Good luck!

Jeff

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Anyone set up their Naze with just a satellite RX? I've been flying 120mm micros with Alienwii FC's and like the simple satellite RX only set up. Just got my versacopter kit in the mail today and am still waiting for my Naze 32 to arrive. Anyone know the pro's and con's of using a sat RX only?

With the short antennae I know I'll need to mount it externally to avoid signal loss due to the carbon plates. And I purchased the Rev. level 6 Naze 32. Is it just a software change with the new revision or have other things changed on the board?

It eats a serial port (of which you have 2), so when it's installed you're limited on the external signals . . . but If you're not running GPS/OSD/Telemetry, that's no big deal. ***BE SURE TO ASSIGN THE SAT TO UART2*** If you assign it to UART1 and you'll find the USB connection drops out and you have to reflash your board.

As far as "carbon" plates . . . they're actually copper clad fiberglass . . . but they're still RF-Opaque. Mount it on the bottom and you should be good.

From what I've seen the only big improvements on the Rev 6 are the added baro and better pin-outs -- more connections in sensible places -- but other than that, he's switched the IMU from the MPU6050 to the MPU6500 (no improvement there, IMO). Functionally it might be a little easier to wire things up, but not *that* much of an improvement.