Versa Wing Build for Combat

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Ok...

Building my first Versa Wing so that I can compete in the combat events at my field, and as I'm going through the build video, I see Josh use a coffee stirrer/straw for the pushrods, going from the servo back to the elevons.

I've build a Duster, my Sea Duck, a MiG-3, and now this, and of those, the only one that seemed critical to have that straw was the Sea Duck, where it goes out to the elevator on a long run from the servo.

How important are those straws on the Versa Wing? I'm just debating on whether I should design something to 3D print, since the local Starbucks, Peet's, and other coffee shops don't carry them anymore (local law that was passed basically banning the use of plastics for food unless they're like, BPA free, or reusable, or biodegradable like PLA).

Are they really critical?

What are you using for pushrods and whats the length?

I built the mini arrow and used BBQ skewers as pushrods (and heatshrunk plus CA'd pushrods to the ends) no pushrod supports and it doesnt seem to cause any problems, but smaller wing much less weight...

What about using cable ties to support the pushrod like in the mini arrow? if using metal pushrods on the mini arrow he used a cable tie to put pressure on the middle of the rod slightly bending it down.

also what about carbon fibre rods, ive prefered carbon rods coming from flying RC helicopters where there is usually a very long control rod for the tail running the entire length of the tail boom. The carbon Rods usually removed the need for multiple rod supports along the boom.

sprzout

Mentor
Well, my father, being the mechanical engineer and 3D CAD designer that he is, decided he needed to put his 3D printer to use for this LOL.

He started off making a tube for the wire to run through, about 1.5 mm in diameter (the wire is 1 mm) and flared out the bottom of one side of the tube, so it looks somewhat like an elongated pyramid. Basically, the wide, flat area gets glued/taped to the top of the wing, and the wire runs through it!

I'll post pics of it when I get home - he handed them to me this morning and they look like they're going to work beautifully for my purposes!

I just use a zip tie wrapped around the rod and poked through the surface of the wing. This can be seen in the mini arrow build

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I like the idea of 3D printed parts and all but when it comes to combat I'm curious about the material being too brittle. I'm speaking out of almost complete ignorance since I've only seen and read about these parts and haven't dealt with them personally. What parts might you print? Anything that would be stressed in a collision? Once I get the Skyrocket done I'm moving on to my version of a battle wing, TBA.

Outlawed straws? Really? I'd say that sucks but in your town it's illegal.:eek: What do the kids at school drink their milk with?

Anyway, there might be other legal straws (didn't expect pairing those words together) you can get. What about juice boxes/pouches? Spray lubricants also have straw type nozzles. Maybe you still have options that haven't been criminalized.

sprzout

Mentor
Jim,

What they did is outlawed plastic disposable straws and styrofoam in the city (I can go to a neighboring city and possibly find them, but it's getting harder because of the law). You can use a wax coated paper straw, or these weird biodegradable potato starch straws that feel like plastic and biodegrade after like 6 weeks. Or you can have wooden popsicle stick style stirrers. It’s an eco-friendly area of California, what can I say? Lol

At any rate, here’s what my dad came up with, and it works pretty darned well!

F5DFF1E4-DBFD-4E8B-8057-08624127A794.jpeg

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Looks good. Slightly oversized heatshrink is another idea that I got from your photo.

sprzout

Mentor
Looks good. Slightly oversized heatshrink is another idea that I got from your photo.

I'd thought about that; the only issue I have with that is that I'd be nervous that it'd actually shrink down and get too tight with the heat we get in Southern California during the summer. I've already had issues with the hot glue getting soft and separating on some builds while sitting in the car; my luck, the shrink tube would shrink down from the heat to get tighter than I want/need it. :)

I'm not too worried, though. The 3D printed part that my dad designed gave him something to do and a way for me to let him play with his tools and show off his engineering skills. :)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
When I said oversized I meant after heatshrinking it. They only get so small and once shrunk they firm up quite a bit. Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight all sell various sized heat shrink.

Another idea, the stripped jacketing off of a wire. Might be able to scrounge up some scrap wire where construction is going on.

Old pen ink tubes. Maybe too messy of an endeavor.