Versa wing CG ?

Bricks

Master member
I have built a few Versa wings and allways had asked my self a question does reflex on the elevons or does CG cause a twitchy up and down on the elevons? This one glides for ever with out any input with power off but is one of the twitchiest I have built. I will probably experiment with this one but thought I would get others input on what they have found.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I have built a few Versa wings and allways had asked my self a question does reflex on the elevons or does CG cause a twitchy up and down on the elevons? This one glides for ever with out any input with power off but is one of the twitchiest I have built. I will probably experiment with this one but thought I would get others input on what they have found.
The reflex/CG is not the cause of the "Twitchiness". The short distance between the elevons and the balance point is the real reason.

Other things can make it even worse. A lack of Expo, a balance point behind the actual CG point, (tail heavy?), Too much elevon deflection.

Do a stall test and if it wanders from side to side and then drops a wing as it stalls it is definitely too tail heavy!

Change the mix ratio in the Tx from 50:50 to 60::40. (Aileron:Elevator).

A proper setup can make all the difference!

Have fun!

Bricks

Master member
I have built at least 5 of these Versa Blunt nose and this is the first one that has been this way. Set up is all the same on each one, so I know how they should fly this one is a little out of the ordinary.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
All my wings have been twitchy. I would recommend 50-70% rates on elevator and some also for aileron. Make your first flight over something soft just in case it gets squirrelly on you and noses in. I have a field of over grown weeds nearby just in case.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I have built at least 5 of these Versa Blunt nose and this is the first one that has been this way. Set up is all the same on each one, so I know how they should fly this one is a little out of the ordinary.
Well if you know how it should fly and your build techniques are such that each model you produce is identical then I would be searching for another variable.

Whilst it might not be relevant in your case I built a number of Mini Mustangs and all bar one flew exactly as expected but there was one which wouldn't trim properly and rolled like a dog! After much inspection I found that I had cut one of the wing spars out of a piece of poorer quality FB where the paper to foam bond was not as good as normal and with consequence the spar delaminated. This was allowing the wing camber to change in flight especially under the influence of the Aileron.

Glued the paper to thr foam on the spar, resealed the wing, added a minor amount of weight to the opposite wing for balance and test flew it. Once repaired it flew the same as all of the others. Lesson was take NOTHING for granted!

Have fun!