Versacopter naze32 adding gps

HyperHelis

I am wanting to purchase the versacopter with naze32 rev6 and would like to add gps to it. Is this possible? I do not want to buy it if not. Need help.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hi HyperHelis, welcome to the forum! You're going to want a Naze32 Full instead of the Naze32 Acro which Flitetest sells to add a GPS. The full board costs about twice as much as the acro one (~$50). Even then, gps functions on the Naze are still a work in progress and will be mediocre at best. If you really want full on gps I would look at larger controllers like the Pixhawk or Naza, etc. Of course those controllers might be too large for the versacopter. Something smaller might be a Sparky V2.

dale_p

A mini apm fits, the wiring is a mess though. I have one, with a flaky Neo-6M gps module that doesn't get 3D lock when connected to the APM and takes 1/2hr to get a 2D lock regardless of where it is. You'll have to use the Polulu power module for 5V if you have a 5V camera, and connect the GPS to the 5V VCC and Gnd as the mini APM seems to limit the amperage to the GPS module.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hey HyperHelis, sorry guess I never saw your reply.

The apm would probably fit in the versacopter...barely. It's a tight squeeze even with the Naze. Besides the APM is outdated hardware. The pixhawk would be a better choice, and the pixfalcon (a mini pixhawk clone) would probably fit well. The pixfalcon board is about the same size as the Naze, and the ouputs use small connectors rather than tall pins to connect to the board. Fitting the PDB supplied with the pixfalcon might be challenging though. It is also the size of a Naze and takes the power/ground from all the ESCs and sends current/voltage to the pixfalcon. It can be eliminated though with a power module that connects in line with the main power leads.