Versacopter won't take off/lifts to one side.

AnabolicHippo

Hey folks,

I've built my Versacopter but I have a hit a bit of a snag with setting it up, here are my specs:

Powerpack E
Naze32 Afroflight by
X8R receiver
Taranis Transmitter

I've double checked prop orientation, as well as calibrated the ESC's/Accelerometer at least a dozen times now. It does not seem to be generating enough lift, even at full throttle, and, even if it did take off, it looks like it would most likely flip. I've tried both the Naze and CC3D flight controllers, as well as Cleanflight and OpenPilot and both point to very similar issues; a bit better on Cleanflight with the Naze32. I've measured the booms, everything looks even, as are the motor mounts.
Update:
I've added a picture
thumb_IMG_1600_1024.jpg
Video:

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hi AnabolicHippo welcome to the forum! First simple question: did you put on your props the right way? The numbers on the props should be facing up. Second, what battery are you using? List the mAh and C rating if you can. Last thing I can think of right now is to really make sure you are calibrating the ESCs correctly. You may think you have the process right, but may be missing one part.

AnabolicHippo

Hi AnabolicHippo welcome to the forum! First simple question: did you put on your props the right way? The numbers on the props should be facing up. Second, what battery are you using? List the mAh and C rating if you can. Last thing I can think of right now is to really make sure you are calibrating the ESCs correctly. You may think you have the process right, but may be missing one part.

Thanks for the welcome, really excited to start building more and participate in the forum. The battery is a 2300 mAh Tattu 45C. I've added a picture to the original post, it will show the orientation of my props; the numbers are facing up. For the ESC's, I power up the quad, with throttle at max in Cleanflight, wait for one beep, and bring the throttle all the way down; at which point it beeps as it would on startup and the motors are able to spin (min throttle is 1090).

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Do you know what the max ouput value your TX gives on the trottle channel? You should see the throttle channel in the receiver tab go up to around 1900 at full throttle. Also check your motors and see if any of them are getting really hot or acting strange.

AnabolicHippo

Do you know what the max ouput value your TX gives on the trottle channel? You should see the throttle channel in the receiver tab go up to around 1900 at full throttle. Also check your motors and see if any of them are getting really hot or acting strange.

It's going up to about 2013, maybe this is because I adjusted the minimum value for the throttle? The motors aren't getting hot, neither are the ESC's, but as I said before, they don't seem to linearly generate force with increases in throttle; I would consider this strange.