vertical stabilizer

teflyer

Full Circle
Is there such a thing as too much vertical stabilizer? I am looking at my plane that I am building right now and it seems as if the tail is rather larger compared to the plane.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I think it's more of a stabilizer to rudder ratio. A big stabilizer will help keep it straight but might make it difficult to turn if you don't have enough rudder. Also I think if it's a fast plane you need less surface area to keep it straight and a slower plane would need a larger stabilizer.

teflyer

Full Circle
Here you go. plane5.jpg

Last edited:

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The picture does not show the area or span of the v stab. Is it a kind of "dart" you are building?
"Darts" are derived from the old rubber powered Ama Cub if i understand it.

teflyer

Full Circle
Yes, the idea is derived form the dart. Sort of ugly though:p
And what do you mean by span or area of the vert. stabilizer. I thought it showed in the far left of the picture. I believe vertical stabilizer is also known as the tail.
stabilizers
Vertical Stabilizer

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yes, the idea is derived form the dart. Sort of ugly though:p
And what do you mean by span or area of the vert. stabilizer. I thought it showed in the far left of the picture. I believe vertical stabilizer is also known as the tail.
stabilizers
Vertical Stabilizer

Vertical Stabilizer: The part that is joined with the rudder.
Horizontal Stabilizer: The part that is joined with the elevator.

earthsciteach

Job from eyeballing it, looks like you have plenty of room to cut the rudder out of the vertical stab. Should work ok.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Short tail moment means you need a large rudder and stab, as pictured. If the tail was further from the CoG the stabs could be smaller.