vertically challenged :D

aspen

vertical wing idea.png
okay, so this is a crappy picture made in Microsoft art but this is what i am thinking of for doing vertical liftoff and having hatches cover those holes that have a propeller inside of them. you could use Iris hatches, two piece hatches, four piece, and many more types of hatches. but the hatch needs to blend into the airfoil and be able to support itself while the person does some G creating moves with the airplane. i do think this will work, but i don't know, what do you think? (Iris hatches would remove the need for doing a mixing for the hatches as you can run them all off of one motor) and if you cant tell what plane type it is, its supposed to be a wing design.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Uh, Aspen, Iris hatches? That's going to be to difficult on a prototype.
I still think a Tri or bicopter delta is our best bet.
You seem to agree on the delta part, but, An Iris hatch is so complex that it would be nearly impossible to Iron out all the kinks well enough for this design until several prototypes are done.
I am working on the tilt mech. I will post pics when I get my laptop back!:rolleyes:
Foam.

Last edited:

aspen

wasn't meaning for a prototype, first we get the idea itself working then you work on making fancy things like iris hatches working on it. but what i was trying to say is that iris hatches could run off a single motor so you dont need to worry about the mixing of the hatches so they all close at once. well just hope that your tilt plane doesnt get disintegrated from a horrible crash in its first flight. alright, have fun!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
That's fine then.
I finished a rudimentary tilt system last night.
I have to maiden an Me-262, and wait for the king to get his orders to work, then I can start the actual plane.
I have an old fogey that's about to get a little more high tech. cue tilt rotor!:cool:

aspen

lol, how did this end up as creating steam punk planes? oh well, if you get it working on old fogey giving it a steam punk look would be amazing. now it just needs to run off of steam and launch from its zeppelin carrier :cool:

aspen

well, Ive just come by to say its a new year (a little late i know) and to see how this little challenge is going. also, i got a helicopter instead of a plane after Christmas came by because the regular weather here is nasty 45-60 mph winds, its the blade mcx2, and it is very nice. have fun everyone!

kingbee

HI guys

Bell osprey v22 nice one .i think by putting the X of the motor mount at the end of the wing and using servo to make them turn it should work nicely. but tail and nosie have to be prefectly balance for the landing .

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
No, the osprey is more difficult, though not unworkable, due to the turbulence induced by the propwash relative to the wings in Vertical positions. The 4 engined aircraft near the beginning of this thread is much better due to its wing tilting with the motor.
Aspen, This project has slowed, because I drained my coffers buying a Floater jet. However, in my next order from hobbyking, I will be ordering 2 dt 750's and some BIG servos. I want to see if this can be accomplished without a kk2 board, But I do have money for one, so I will keep everyone posted on this project.

aspen

well, this is amazing that ideas are still coming in. and foam don't worry, just keep people posted so we know your alive and all will be good. also i think you could just create a mix on your controller and use that instead of a board. but now that Ive looked into both heli and planes and the in-between a lot more i am, first really psyched about this whole thing, and second am wondering if instead of starting from a plane base if it would be easier to work from a helicopter base and go from there. could even bring a new meaning to the 3d flying for planes with pitch control. but that's all i have to add at the moment. have a happy 2013

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Cool, sorry about that bee, I didn't mean to come off as snappy. I destroyed the old fogey and a 28-30 trying to even get off the ground with tilt rotors. This hasn't died by any means, but I do need Hobbyking to get dt 750's in stock again!
I have been working on getting a twin 75g servo setup to tilt the wings for roll control, but getting it precise enough for roll control, while still able to rotate the wings into a vertical position is a nightmare! I may name this design the squirrel copter!
I am also working on an armin tilt wing aircraft to test the all moving wing, but it is taking a while. Planes don't fly so well if they lose a wing.:black_eyed:
Thanks for the support guys!

OwenN

An easier approach is not to rotate the whole wing. Just rotate large flaps (flaperons) , and have the motors independently mounted like
a bicopter. There are several examples on youtube.

The flight controller can do the mixing. I haven't yet found a good thread that fully describes how it was done, and that the builder is
fully satisfied with the results. This guy seems happy, but uses a more complex method.

RC VTOL - V4 - YouTube

You can also link surfaces to the motor tilt, and motor tilt to the gyro. I am checking whether Ardupilot supports this.
This would be a type of mixing.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
An easier approach is not to rotate the whole wing. Just rotate large flaps (flaperons) , and have the motors independently mounted like
a bicopter. There are several examples on youtube.

The flight controller can do the mixing. I haven't yet found a good thread that fully describes how it was done, and that the builder is
fully satisfied with the results. This guy seems happy, but uses a more complex method.

RC VTOL - V4 - YouTube

You can also link surfaces to the motor tilt, and motor tilt to the gyro. I am checking whether Ardupilot supports this.
This would be a type of mixing.
This thread has been dead for years