Very basic question: Power Pack A, CW or CCW motor?

Casey

This is an extremely dumb and newbie question. I'm scratch building a Mighty Mini fleet outside of the U.S. where everything is depron and tape, and nothing can be shipped from the U.S. I have to purchase piecemeal the parts that would normally be in a Power Pack A. I know the motor is an E-Max MT1806 but I can't find anywhere in the Flite Test documentation whether this should be a clockwise or counterclockwise motor. Please inform me! Thanks.

kdobson83

Counter Clockwise. The thrust angle built into the mini power pods require counter clockwise spinning motors and props.

Bricks

Master member
Brushless motors can change direction by just changing two of the three wires from the ESC so any brushless motor you buy can be switched this way.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
All motors can spin either CW or CCW by unplugging two of the wires going from the ESC to the motor then switch them around and plug them back in.
On all of FT's designs that have a tractor setup (where the motor is in the front of the plan) they have the motors spinning CCW but in their pusher designs (where the motor is in the back or center of the plane) the direction that your motor spins isn't important, so you can have it spinning CW or CCW just make sure you use the right prop;)

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
All motors can spin either CW or CCW by unplugging two of the wires going from the ESC to the motor then switch them around and plug them back in.
On all of FT's designs that have a tractor setup (where the motor is in the front of the plan) they have the motors spinning CCW but in their pusher designs (where the motor is in the back or center of the plane) the direction that your motor spins isn't important, so you can have it spinning CW or CCW just make sure you use the right prop;)

Motors marked as CW or CCW are often referring to the direction of the threads on the shaft and nut. If you run a CW motor CCW, mind the direction of the prop nut. :)

I recommend the use of nyloc stop nuts on standard direction threads and test them before every launch.

kdobson83

All of what they said is true, but now a days a lot of the quad style brushless motors have cooling vents built into the bell and will only function properly if spinning the direction intended. It'll still fly the opposite way but won't pull air through the motor to help cool it off as designed. If they don't have cooling vents built into the bell, then yes, all you do is swap 2 of the 3 leads to change direction.

Casey

I appreciate all the replies, the main concern I had was I wanted to be properly accounting for the down and to-the-side thrust angle of the power pod. Specifically right now I'm building a Mini Sportster.

By the way, how would this plane be for a first time flying with ailerons?

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I built mine out of Depron at the time and it was VERY light and VERY fast. It was extremely maneuverable on the 3 channel setup and at the time I could fly it but it was devilishly fast. Turns had to be done with extreme care.

As for flying it with ailerons, WHY NOT! But I would use 3.7 gram servos to keep the weight down and hence the landing speed!

Have fun!

Casey

I didn't know you could fly the mini sportster as a three channel... is there enough dihedral for that?