FrogMasterRC

I've realized this is my first post in six years but here goes xD

So - I've decided to build my second giant project. I'm going for a 15-ft wingspan Ford Trimotor. I don't care too too much about scale detail but I would like for it to resemble the real thing fairly closely. The challenge here is that I plan to use foamboard as my main building material. The only wood or metal I'd like to use would be as ribs for the airfoil and spars for the wing/empennage, and in the fuselage as framework. I want this thing to be a MASSIVE, yet mostly made out of dollar tree foam board.

Anyway, here is the question. Do any of you have good tips for building massive wings out of foamboard? They need to be able to support substantial weight due to the scale of this build. The chord at the wing root will be about 2.5 feet, and as I mentioned, the wingspan will be 15 feet, so one sheet of foam can't even really cover one "strip" of the airfoil. Is there any hope that this build is possible? or should I use different materials?

Thanks!! I'm hyped for this project.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I've realized this is my first post in six years but here goes xD

So - I've decided to build my second giant project. I'm going for a 15-ft wingspan Ford Trimotor. I don't care too too much about scale detail but I would like for it to resemble the real thing fairly closely. The challenge here is that I plan to use foamboard as my main building material. The only wood or metal I'd like to use would be as ribs for the airfoil and spars for the wing/empennage, and in the fuselage as framework. I want this thing to be a MASSIVE, yet mostly made out of dollar tree foam board.

Anyway, here is the question. Do any of you have good tips for building massive wings out of foamboard? They need to be able to support substantial weight due to the scale of this build. The chord at the wing root will be about 2.5 feet, and as I mentioned, the wingspan will be 15 feet, so one sheet of foam can't even really cover one "strip" of the airfoil. Is there any hope that this build is possible? or should I use different materials?

Thanks!! I'm hyped for this project.

Watch the Flitetest Flugtag episode- there are good tips for building big.

If you can, get your hands on some monster foam or make layers out of regular foam. You'll want to use a lot of plywood in the construction for strength.

FrogMasterRC

Finished my first part last night! Horizontal stabilizer! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_4041.JPG
    IMG_4041.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4040.JPG
    IMG_4040.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0