Very Newbie!

CraigPMiller

I've had an itch for flying forever but haven't had time to focus on it.
Caught the youtube videos and had to have a go! :) :D

Waiting for my PowerUp Dart to arrive! :)

Love wings and while I've never worked with foam, I'd thought I'd try with cardboard.
Worked the downloadable files to fit a manila folder and dived in.
Wingspan - 25 cms
Flies quite well but needs power! :)

Cheers!

Attachments

• MightyMini01.jpg
    MightyMini01.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 0
  • MightyMini02.jpg
    MightyMini02.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 0
  • MightyMini03-1.jpg
    MightyMini03-1.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MightyMini04.jpg
    MightyMini04.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 0

Seahunter

Welcome to our FT family. If you need any help, just post here or in the category to match your build and we have a lot of mentors who love solving problems. Great start with the manila folder, you should do well :)

CraigPMiller

Welcome to our FT family. If you need any help, just post here or in the category to match your build and we have a lot of mentors who love solving problems. Great start with the manila folder, you should do well :)
Thanks.
I wanted to start small - maybe too small :D but I was aiming for something the PowerUp Dart could drive.
I want to build a VariEze! :)
Cheers

CraigPMiller

Welcome to the FT family if you need anything just let me know
Thanks. I expect my first effort will be a horrible mess - but a good learning experience.
I've downloaded the plans for the FT-Mini Tiny Trainer.
My first mistake was not realizing the model's size. I bought A3 sheets. :unsure::whistle: I should be able to join them together for the larger parts. 🤞 :cautious::)

mjmccarron

Interesting medium. I use to build 3D models of my assignments from file folders when in college as I had a hard time visualizing the assignment from just 3 views. takes me back.

CraigPMiller

Interesting medium. I use to build 3D models of my assignments from file folders when in college as I had a hard time visualizing the assignment from just 3 views. takes me back.
Didn't you have a perspective view? :D I used to teach 3D animation. :) It can take practice to go from a mental image of what you want and using a tool - computer or bit of paper - to make it. Cheers :)

CraigPMiller

The first cut is the deepest... :D
Cutting out the nose for the glider version...
The cutting guides for the B-fold join seem thin - 4mm as opposed to the 5mm board. Have made adjustments... :)
FT MiniTinyTrainer01.jpg

CraigPMiller

Lots to learn and practice.
#1 - cutting the foam square :)
#2 - My glue gun technique needs more practice

:cool::sneaky:(y)
Getting there...
FT-MiniTinyTrainer03.jpg

Dante

I have also found that cutting curves is hard because it beads up, and the knife always seems to cut at an angle.
Three recommendations:
1) use as sharp of a blade as possible
2) on straight sections use a wide blade to keep it straight (like a sharp utility knife blade) like this
1537529618234.png
3) on curves use a skinny blade like an exacto knife or a small break off blade razor like this
1537529550708.png

mjmccarron

Didn't you have a perspective view? :D I used to teach 3D animation. :) It can take practice to go from a mental image of what you want and using a tool - computer or bit of paper - to make it. Cheers :)
This was before CAD. (I'm old). Most often, I would only have a 3 view to go from. I found it helpful to build models from manila file folder to help me visualize the finished product. I guess that's why FT is so appealing to me. We're talking early '80's here. Seeing your post took me back.

CraigPMiller

This was before CAD. (I'm old). Most often, I would only have a 3 view to go from. I found it helpful to build models from manila file folder to help me visualize the finished product. I guess that's why FT is so appealing to me. We're talking early '80's here. Seeing your post took me back.
OLD! Join the club! :D I started doing CGI in the mid-80s :) on a Symbolics Lisp machine. (Had to get State Dept. approval to import it into NZ because it could calculate ballistic flight paths - but it couldn't render shadows! :D ) More power in your phone these days. :D

CraigPMiller

I have also found that cutting curves is hard because it beads up, and the knife always seems to cut at an angle.
Three recommendations:
1) use as sharp of a blade as possible
2) on straight sections use a wide blade to keep it straight (like a sharp utility knife blade) like this
View attachment 115237
3) on curves use a skinny blade like an exacto knife or a small break off blade razor like this
View attachment 115236
Yes. I'm working with two blade types, but getting the cuts square is still tricky.
Practice. Practice. Practice.
(But i don't want to go to Carnegie Hall! :D )