Very uninformed regarding fpv

earthsciteach

Hey, folks. I've decided I want an fpv system. I totally blame this forum for this pending unnecessary purchase. Now, I really don't know much about this whole fpv thing. I do know I need a camera and transmitter on the airplane and a monitor and receiver on the ground. I also know that HK sells packages for prices that seem very reasonable.

Before I pull the trigger on a purchase, I'd just like to verify a couple of things. First, It is my understanding that, since my TX is 2.4 GHz, I can not use a 2.4 GHz fpv system. So, based on that, I'd want a 900 MHz or lower frequency system. But, if that is the case, why don't I have to worry about interference from another 2.4 GHz TX?

Next, it is my understanding that the higher the mW, the longer the range. Are there any issues with using a 200 mW fpv system in the US from a legal standpoint? What are the limitations on these systems from a legal standpoint?

Lastly, are the HK fpv systems worth buying? Should I pass on these and save my money?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Well earthsciteach, I am awaiting delivery on a 900mhz and it should be here today (2.12.11) I will do a whats in the box thingy
and you can check it out. I paid $73 us dollars for it from a model shop in Scotland through ebay I will message ya when its on
there, although I cant see me getting it in the air for a few more months due to the bottomless moneypit that is Christmas.
Also I don't want to launch a new plane, camera and all that goes with it without gps and a come home failsafe I will keep posting
as I progress so we should be able to learn our way through it on the forum........ While i am thinking about it an osd is probably
going to be an essential aswell.......Keep flying

earthsciteach

Great! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the system. So, I can also look forward to spending money on a gps failsafe, return home features AND OSD? Hmmm.... How to break this to my wife... ;)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Before I pull the trigger on a purchase, I'd just like to verify a couple of things. First, It is my understanding that, since my TX is 2.4 GHz, I can not use a 2.4 GHz fpv system. So, based on that, I'd want a 900 MHz or lower frequency system. But, if that is the case, why don't I have to worry about interference from another 2.4 GHz TX?

Mainly because, if you're using a 2.4 system as your aircraft control, and you put a 2.4 transmitter on the plane "next to" the receiver, it's always going to be "louder" to the receiver than your control transmitter is.

The 900mHz systems are better for low flying. They penetrate/go around, obstacles better than the higher frequency transmitters.

Next, it is my understanding that the higher the mW, the longer the range. Are there any issues with using a 200 mW fpv system in the US from a legal standpoint? What are the limitations on these systems from a legal standpoint?

I believe even at that power output you need a ham radio license.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384449

I prefer to improve range with the antennas, not the wattage. There's some really good info on DIY antennas on here and David's website.

Lastly, are the HK fpv systems worth buying? Should I pass on these and save my money?

Thanks for any help you can give!

This is a pretty decent intro kit. When you go to upgrade, you'll want to improve on the camera, and the antennas.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...0mW_Tx_Rx_1_3_inch_CCD_Camera_PAL_520TVL.html

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Unpacking low end FPV
Now I have done a bit more nosing about it seems that I will not get much range with this stock set up, but it will allow me to
get my foot in the door of the fpv world http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2704799977287
then upgrade as i get more confident
I have found quite a few good reviews so I think it will not be too bad

This is a fantastic entry level kit, for the price it cant be beaten. The low range being reported it due to incorrect antennas being used, my set up is a high gain Yaggi antenna on the ground and a 3dBi whip on my plane (AXN floater jet) with this set up I have had close to a mile. The main advantages of a low mW kit is low power consumption so smaller 3s battery's can be used thus saving weight and the TX wont burn up if left connected like some of the high power units out there. In summery I would really recommend this kit, just make sure you invest in ether a patch or yaggi antenna to get the best out of it.

Last edited: