video: 3rd day attempting to fly - Another short day at the field :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I left this comment for you on you tube :
I love the invert on the launch of the second attempt! Since you said you're just learning, I'm pretty sure it wasn't on purpose, but still impressive! Try reducing your throws a bit, at least until you start to get a feel for the sticks. And throttle down some once you get off the ground. The Nutball flies really well just a little nose high and slow, depending on your power system, probably around half throttle or less...Keep at it. It will come sooner than you think!

Let us know if we can help in any way as well...

TacomaD

Thanks! I did see the comment on YouTube, and no the inversion wasn't intentional. :)

I really need to adjust the push rod length and figure out why it's pulling to the left so much (someone suggested adjusting the motor so it points a little down and to the right.). Once it's flying stable and level I should be able to keep it in the air longer. I've had some better flights, but not really any video of them.

I do have a question about the control sticks, though. For this type of plane (only rudder and elevator) is it better to have the rudder control on the right stick with the elevator (assuming mode 2) or on the left stick with the throttle. I started with it on the left stick, but moved it to the right stick since it's the primary turning control and it seemed a bit easier for me.

I left this comment for you on you tube :
I love the invert on the launch of the second attempt! Since you said you're just learning, I'm pretty sure it wasn't on purpose, but still impressive! Try reducing your throws a bit, at least until you start to get a feel for the sticks. And throttle down some once you get off the ground. The Nutball flies really well just a little nose high and slow, depending on your power system, probably around half throttle or less...Keep at it. It will come sooner than you think!

Let us know if we can help in any way as well...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That actually is the way most people do it. Sounds weird with rudder on the right stick but since usually ailerons are the primary bank control and with these planes using ONLY rudder(no ailerons), it's better to have rudder and elevator both on the same stick.

haha! i love it, because thats exactly how it was for me except with a spitfire. at first it seems like the thing completely has a mind of it's own but the more you play with it and the more you're out there the better you get. at the rate you're going you'll probably be pretty good with it just in time to retire the plane and build a new one. and thrust angle on the motor is probably a great idea.

BankNYank!

Mentor
Hey TacomaD, thanks for sharing the video!

I agree with xuzme720, try turning down your throws until you get more comfortable. I'm not sure what transmitter your using but an easy way to reduce throws is to move your push rods to a lower hole on the servo arm.

Thanks again for sharing and I hope you post some more videos as you learn how to keep it in the air longer!