Video editing softwares ?

Marnix

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some video editing software to be able to compile some of my flights in one single video, to eventually, perhaps, share it.
I have already used Windows Live Movie Maker, but since it has to convert every file (for some unknown reason ), and since it bugs regularely, I gave up.
So, if you know some software which might help me out, it would really be nice to give its name. I would prefer a free one, but I am ready to spend a some money on such a software, if really needed.

Thanks.

PJaussie

It is a real pity that Microsoft never put much effort into their movie maker as its such handy software. But thats not what you're asking.

A good alternative albeit more complicated, is Lightworks
It is free for the basic version (you have to register on their website) and realistically the limitations are few, for example you can only export MP4 at max 720p res.

aldalo

Alan
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some video editing software to be able to compile some of my flights in one single video, to eventually, perhaps, share it.
I have already used Windows Live Movie Maker, but since it has to convert every file (for some unknown reason ), and since it bugs regularely, I gave up.
So, if you know some software which might help me out, it would really be nice to give its name. I would prefer a free one, but I am ready to spend a some money on such a software, if really needed.

Thanks.

I use Video Pad Video Editor
http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/

Marnix

A good alternative albeit more complicated, is Lightworks
Indeed, that seems a really good software.

you can only export MP4 at max 720p res.
That seems quite a bad side, no?

I will wait for some more response, but I really think yours is a good choice.

Thanks

PJaussie

720p is a perfectly respectable resolution, perfectly watchable on large TV's.
1080p is nice, but when the software is free, 720p is great

Marnix

720p is a perfectly respectable resolution
Ok.

I will download those two softwares to get a clear idea.

Thanks a lot Pjaussie and aldalo ! I hope I will soon be able to share some flight videos !

If you want to spend money, I really like Sony Vegas. It is not cheap but you really don't have anything missing in it. Even most of the major difficult stuff is doable with it (greenscreening, picture in picture, unlimited video channels). But that's just if you really want to push your videos to be as entertaining as they can be, it's nothing for the quick "share-button" like video software. If you just want to cut, and maybe add a litte music, start with something free. :)

N4PJ

Video Editing Software

I've been using AVS4YOU for several years. They have a moderately large "suite" of programs - editing, conversion, audio editing/conversion, etc. It isn't free, but you can purchase lifetime access for a reasonable cost.

There is free editing software for the GoPro (GoPro Studio). While it *can* be used for things other than video from a GoPro, there are some limitations if the video was not generated via a GoPro, but they are not hugely restrictive.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
+1 on Video Pad Video Editor It's pretty basic, but you can do green screening and overlay video. You can export in many formats and in 1080p. It "technically" is only a 15 day free trial, but you can just spend a minute to delete it and redownload for another 15 days. If I was commercial I would be more honorable and not do that.

For simple compilations of clips on the GoPro, GoPro studio is very easy and quick to use.

Once I get more serious I will probably end up getting the adobe suite with a student discount (~$20 month).

aldalo

Alan
+1 on Video Pad Video Editor It's pretty basic, but you can do green screening and overlay video. You can export in many formats and in 1080p. It "technically" is only a 15 day free trial, but you can just spend a minute to delete it and redownload for another 15 days. If I was commercial I would be more honorable and not do that.

For simple compilations of clips on the GoPro, GoPro studio is very easy and quick to use.

Once I get more serious I will probably end up getting the adobe suite with a student discount (~$20 month).

I've been using this software for years. You don't need to redownload it after trial period, you can only export to avi, wmv.
asf, and dvd
vPad formats.png

I use avi to upload to youtube , works great !

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I've been using Adobe Premier for a long time.
It's quite expensive and I'm working my way towards upgrading to the CC version.
Photoshop CC has a great photographers package that is reasonably priced, but not so with Premier.
Maybe they'll eventually offer a nice bundle with After Effects.

The Elements versions of both Photoshop and Premier can do 90% of the functionality of the full versions.
You can get either for around $50 or bundled for around $80 on sale.

Best regards,
PCH

Last edited:

Marnix

Wow !!!I wasn't expecting so much answers!

Now I don't know anymore which one to choose... I am currently edditing some flight videos with the Video Pad Video Editor software, which seems OK (good enough for a free software)

Depending on the results of Video Pad's software, I might change for the Sony Vegas (downloading the free trial, before perhaps bying it). That software seems really great !
@ 1387: Which one would you advise to me ? The Platinium version seems good, no? Which one do you have?

Thanks a lot to everyone !!!

flyboy10

What's pretty easy, fairly straightforward, and really cheap is iMovie on the iPad. I sit and watch TV in the background while editing movies.

dunderchief

Adobe Creative Cloud is $50/month (subscription based). You get all of their products for less than the average cellphone bill.

Fuegogyro

Sorry sirs, I also have a video editing problems. Recently i downloaded a video file that is in DSS audio codec. I want to edit it but i cannot open it in my vlc and windows media player. later somebody told me that i should convert dss to mp3 in order to be compatible with editing programs. i did it, but i don't know why after the video conversion was completed, the video quality got worse than before. the resolution was still 720p, not changed. this was the video converter and editing program i used: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/convert-dss-to-mp3.html

TrenaSwitzer

I just participated in the comments and I have mentioned the application that I use to edit videos is high techloky Adobe Lightroom apk. Is this a violation? While I'm just stating my opinion.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I just participated in the comments and I have mentioned the application that I use to edit videos is high techloky Adobe Lightroom apk. Is this a violation? While I'm just stating my opinion.
It may have been an error. Repost the comment.