VIDEO: Flying Low and Slow (FMS)

Is colorex ready to fly?

• Yes! He should go fly the Bixler as soon as possible!

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Hmmm. He should practice a little more on the sim...

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No. He shouldn't get near a real plane.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
This is a video of me flying the HawkSky in FMS

Camera on tripod recording the screen LOL, excuse the noise, I tried to fix it.

Feel free to comment!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Looks like you have good control of the aircraft. As long as your controls are all the right way, and the plane is balanced, you should do just fine when you get the real one.

I am impressed, I haven't checked out FMS in a long time. They have it looking very nice!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Looks like you're probably ready to fly. I'd go a little easier on the ailerons though. You don't need to go perpendicular to the ground to turn and you risk a stall if the wind hits or you get dumb thumbs or something like that. Stalling when perpendicular often leads to a fast spiral to the ground. Other than that, you look fine in the air

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Looks like you're probably ready to fly. I'd go a little easier on the ailerons though. You don't need to go perpendicular to the ground to turn and you risk a stall if the wind hits or you get dumb thumbs or something like that. Stalling when perpendicular often leads to a fast spiral to the ground. Other than that, you look fine in the air

I guess FMS doesn't simulate tip stalls. Though I'm using bank and yank to steer, I try not to go over 45 degrees. I bank the plane 30 - 45 degrees and pull back on elevator to maintain height.

How do you use rudder to steer better? Coordinated turns?

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
When you do a turn and the plane goes in a 30° bank it will loose some of its surface area right?
Normally you try to compensate that with the elevator but you can use the elevator and the rudder to do that job together.

You can also fly without ailerons at all (on some planes like the Easystar)
The only use rudder. You can try it if you want on the simulator. Leave away the ailerons completely and then try to maneouver only with rudder. It should work.

Also have you tried out more advanced planes like a jet or a 3d plane? The thing is that FMS is not reality and it only shows you a really bad way of what flying is actually like (my opinion) But if you have other planes under control as well and can rescue them from any position relative to the ground, you should be more than fine for your first flight.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I have flown the gl1 (that's the name of the file) It's a big glider that does not use ailerons, and I do pretty good. But it is very slow.
I also fly the super bandit, and since I have d/r on the controls it will pull like 20 g's on full elevator (not realistic)
I fly an Extra 300 that is really twitchy and randomly drifts. It needs mechanical linkage adjustment :)
I tried downloading 3D models, but they are NOT realistic. They just have slow sink rates. Try letting go of the controls in mid-air.

I am currently practicing throttle management, I used to push throttle all the way and leave it there. Now I'm doing better.

Thanks for the advice :)

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
FMS and most sims are only good for getting used to orientation/lefts & rights as the plane is flying towards you. You'll get into the field to do your maiden flight and immediately find out what wind will do to a plane...just don't over-correct.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
For your throttle control I got a tip for you there.

You do wanna fly long right?
So keep in mind how you can get the most out of your battery (flighttimewise)
That implies to reduce your throttle and just let it glide down.
Then give it some throttle to get it up again and then glide back down. (I think thats most efficient.)

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
How do I prevent a tip stall?
Keep your speed up...you can test the stall speed of any RC plane by getting the altitude a few mistakes high then kill the throttle and try to maintain level flight...It will stall by either dropping a wing or dropping the nose (depending on the airfoil). This will learn you how to deal with unexpected stalls.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Keep your speed up...you can test the stall speed of any RC plane by getting the altitude a few mistakes high then kill the throttle and try to maintain level flight...It will stall by either dropping a wing or dropping the nose (depending on the airfoil). This will learn you how to deal with unexpected stalls.

On FMS it will only stall nose-in.

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
put the wind on

I guess FMS doesn't simulate tip stalls. Though I'm using bank and yank to steer, I try not to go over 45 degrees. I bank the plane 30 - 45 degrees and pull back on elevator to maintain height.

Colorex do you have the alpha download, if you have you can turn the wind on for a more natural flight

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

You shouldn't get tip stalls with the Bixler type planes. One of the benefits of the curved up wing tips.

Usually I'll use the rudder to make the turn, and the ailerons to counter the induced roll.