Video of the maiden flight of the FT "Swappable" J3 Cub

NewZee

Well it wasn't pretty, but I maidened the Cub today. it flew pretty good (for all of 20 seconds), I tried to avoid a baseball backstop and hit a tree in the process. (my bad), but the plane is fixible next time I'll get much more altitude!! Thanks again to all of you who showed an interest in this one of a kind (so far) Flite Test inspired scratch build. I hope to get some plans up soon!

DDSFlyer

Maidens either go great or don't...either way they are a handful. Sorry it didn't end so well, but that Cub is gonna be an awesome flier I'm sure. Not sure how you'll check CG but I couldn't tell if it was spot on or not from the amount of flight time. It's an awesome plane! Can't wait to see it fly some more

eagle4

Looks good mate, I wonder if its a touch under powered. Also get your friend who's filming to hold their phone horizontal. Much better for videos :)

NewZee

Maidens either go great or don't...either way they are a handful. Sorry it didn't end so well, but that Cub is gonna be an awesome flier I'm sure. Not sure how you'll check CG but I couldn't tell if it was spot on or not from the amount of flight time. It's an awesome plane! Can't wait to see it fly some more

After I built it and installed the battey I checked CG and it was really good the first time I checked, just a little nose heavy, the battery sits right behind the windshield, and there is a lot of room to move it around for good balance.

Last edited:

NewZee

Looks good mate, I wonder if its a touch under powered. Also get your friend who's filming to hold their phone horizontal. Much better for videos :)

I had a small prop 7X5 on it and may try a 8X6 next time. the motor is a NTM28 26 1200kv and powers my Spitfire well, I also was not near full throttle in the video, I'm purposly trying to fly a little slower as most of my worse crashes with other planes were at high speed? I agree I probably should have had more power on! Already informed my cameraman to go horizontal! Thanks for the feedback.