Video recorders

Luka Carl

Here we can talk about the different mini cams available on the market today. Post videos, reccomend sellers, and exchange experiences.

To kick the thread of, here are some common models used:

MD80
Known also as "Turnigy 30FPS Ultra-Mini DigiCam"
mini_dv_md80_micro_video_camera_135.jpg
Rewiev:

808 KeyCam
hd_808_car_key_camera.jpg

Also sold by hobbby king. But be ware. This type of camera is currently sold in 11 different setups, and quality. The latest #11 has HD (1280x720) and 170° viewing angle. It is also about four times the money. To identify the type you can use http://chucklohr.com/808/C11/index.html
Or watch a rewiev here:

GoPro
slika.jpg

For someone with a little more dough. http://gopro.com/products/ beeing in the top class of action cameras. Taking in the 1080p at 30fps, or 60fps at lower quality (720p...). Amazing video quality.

Attachments

• IMG_4228.JPG
    IMG_4228.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4229.JPG
    IMG_4229.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4258.JPG
    IMG_4258.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I've been using a Flip Mino HD on my Slow Stick. It does 720p @ 60FPS

New-Flip-MinoHD-Camcorder-1.jpg

Here's my first video with it.

Last edited:

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
bicyclemonkey - that really films nice on your slow-stik. no jello cam.....very solid. I am thoroughly impressed. great job!

Eric

Jay

I've been using my FlyCamOne2 (v2) for a couple of years now. It's pretty neat, but only records video at 480 resolution. It works well, but I'm looking for something with HD resolution now.

163_large.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
bicyclemonkey - that really films nice on your slow-stik. no jello cam.....very solid. I am thoroughly impressed. great job!

Eric
Thanks for the kind words, you can't beat it for $69. It does 720p @ 60fps.

Wow, they have it for $44.99 now at best buy!

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
It's ok for $18...it records at 480 @ 30fps. It also doesn't include the Micro SD card...If your good at searching eBay you can find them with a 2GB memory card for $25 or less. I think that's how much I paid for mine last year with the memory card.

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
It's ok for $18...it records at 480 @ 30fps. It also doesn't include the Micro SD card...If your good at searching eBay you can find them with a 2GB memory card for $25 or less. I think that's how much I paid for mine last year with the memory card.

How good is the quality (not the same as resolution)? What are the pros and cons? Is it shock-resistant? Will it save recordings if it breaks in a crash while recording?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Here ya go...Taken with mine. It is shock resistant, I've crashed pretty good with it and it still works...it records to the SD card so as long as it's still intact the video will be ok if you destroy the camera.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hmmm... It's a bit shaky... Not quite what I expected... Or will it be better if you make a nicer mount?

Does anyone know of a good camera under $30 which will record 60fps?

ilovefpv

I've had both the 808 #11 (~40) and the GoPro (~$200)...

The 808 #11 is very good - here's an example when I had it on my HK Kinetic:

http://www.ilovefpv.com/2011/06/hello-world/

(wait for the section where the plane is gliding to see how the video looks without the interleaving)

The GoPro is obviously larger and heavier, but has the advantage of a wider angle lens and what seems to be more saturated color.. It also has the advantage that you can do still photography with it (it doubles as a 5 megapixel camera and can take images every 2, 5, and 10 seconds) Here's an example:

http://www.ilovefpv.com/2011/07/flying-bowdoin-park-wappingers-falls-ny/

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I've had both the 808 #11 (~40) and the GoPro (~$200)...

The GoPro is obviously larger and heavier, but has the advantage of a wider angle lens and what seems to be more saturated color.. It also has the advantage that you can do still photography with it (it doubles as a 5 megapixel camera and can take images every 2, 5, and 10 seconds) Here's an example:

http://www.ilovefpv.com/2011/07/flying-bowdoin-park-wappingers-falls-ny/

Thanks for the feedback! I have seen the GoPro, I would buy it if I had the cash. (I have the cash, but I'm gonna buy me a plane)
Seems like it will be the #11 camera for me...

ilovefpv, do you still have the #11 camera? I'd like to see how it looks without the prop in front of it... Not necessarily a flight video, but if you could do a test video showing how the video reacts to vibrations, it would be greatly appreciated!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
This is a sample from the #11 keychain camera. Watch in HD, in fulscreen, with scaling off to get the best result.

This video is enough to convince me to buy a #11 keychain camera!
(The only bad thing I noticed is the lack of saturation when filming downwards.)

What do you think?

ilovefpv

The #11 is much worse for vibration - not because of the camera, but because of the lens.

Just think about your person digital photo or video camera - the vibration is much worse when you zoom in.

Part of the genius of GoPro is the wide angle lens. Yes, it distorts the field of view, but the appearance of the wider len is much smoother and you get that really cool "GoPro effect.."

The #11 is cool, but I very quickly outgrew it - in fact when it broke I didn't even bother to replace it. If I had to do it all over again - I'd skip the #11 and spend buy the GoPro first...

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The #11 is much worse for vibration - not because of the camera, but because of the lens.

Just think about your person digital photo or video camera - the vibration is much worse when you zoom in.

Part of the genius of GoPro is the wide angle lens. Yes, it distorts the field of view, but the appearance of the wider len is much smoother and you get that really cool "GoPro effect.."

The #11 is cool, but I very quickly outgrew it - in fact when it broke I didn't even bother to replace it. If I had to do it all over again - I'd skip the #11 and spend buy the GoPro first...

And you cannot improve this by adding a wide-angle lens to the #11?

Someone posted a video on YouTube using this lens.

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Probably want to get some flight time in with the Bix first colorex. Don't want to buy an expensive camera and kill it in a crash.