Video Vibration/Jello Remedies

MidwestRob

I wanted to get some ideas from others about how they have eliminated jello or vibrations from their flight videos. I've tried everything from balancing motors and props to using multiple types of materials with mixed results. Please share your techniques and materials used to reduce vibrations to your videos.

PaulT

Mentor
How fortuitous that you would ask this now......
I was just researching exactly this on how to mount my new #16 808 camera on my yet to be built H quad (hint hint to my wife if she's watching....need supplies to make it)
This looks like just the fix:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21354910&postcount=8

I was looking at this mount, which is being used on a high rev'ing street bike, and thinking of using the ear plugs glued onto a coro-plast board and then velcro the camera onto that.
I am speculating that I would use only one pair and cut them in half to achieve enough dampening.
Cheap material to experiment with.
Just an idea!

MidwestRob

I bought some earplugs a while ago to try something similar to what was shown in the link you posted. One of the reasons I wasn't in a big hurry to try it was because I've seen other videos with that type of mount that actually amplified the vibrations somehow. Maybe they had it mounted or fastened the wrong way. After watching the video from the link, I'm motivated again to give the earplug mount a try.

MidwestRob

How fortuitous that you would ask this now......
I was just researching exactly this on how to mount my new #16 808 camera on my yet to be built H quad (hint hint to my wife if she's watching....need supplies to make it)
This looks like just the fix:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21354910&postcount=8

I was looking at this mount, which is being used on a high rev'ing street bike, and thinking of using the ear plugs glued onto a coro-plast board and then velcro the camera onto that.
I am speculating that I would use only one pair and cut them in half to achieve enough dampening.
Cheap material to experiment with.
Just an idea!

Hey PaulT, just wanted to let you know that the earplug mount you suggested has been working great. I've discovered that it's important to fasten the camera down to the mount at just the right tension. Not too loose, but not too tight.

http://flitetest.com/articles/Sunken_Forest_FPV_Quadcopter

Last edited:

PaulT

Mentor
That is awesome news.
I am just starting the build on the H Quad, and I have a bag of ear plugs waiting to be used for something other than what they were intended for.
Your video is Magnificent.:applause:
Can you post a picture of the setup?

MidwestRob

Can you post a picture of the setup?

Sure Paul, here's a couple pictures showing the materials I used and the the finished vibration damper.

Materials:
-3M Earplugs
-Double-sided Foam Pad
-No-slip Tool Drawer Liner
-Old CD Case
-Hot Glue

Attachments

• 20121223_130630.jpg
    20121223_130630.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 103
  • 20121223_130515.jpg
    20121223_130515.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 85

PaulT

Mentor
Nice.
How did you mount this?
It looks like you could just put this under the camera and use a wrap around battery strap to secure it.
I have my frame almost done and am using a layer of cork under the motor mounts as my first of a series of dampening devices before the camera mount.
Obviously, this mount works great.

MidwestRob

I use a pair of rubber bands to fasten the camera and damper to the frame. The rubber bands give me a consistent fastening tension. The Discovery frame has a set of T-shaped tabs where the rubber bands can hook on to the frame. A small piece of foam between the rubber band and the camera will also help prevent vibrations from the frame transferring to the camera.

Twister

Guess I have a project for this evening. MidwestRob where did you pick up the foam sheet from?

Last edited:

robschonk

I just found a great free app for iPhone to measure vibrations called iSeismograph. It shows real time vibrations in the x, y, and z axes. I believe there's an android app too.

Run it, and mount your phone where you'd mount your camera. Make changes in the mount, and see if it helps or hurts. Ain't technology wonderful!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 47

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I just found a great free app for iPhone to measure vibrations called iSeismograph. It shows real time vibrations in the x, y, and z axes. I believe there's an android app too.

Run it, and mount your phone where you'd mount your camera. Make changes in the mount, and see if it helps or hurts. Ain't technology wonderful!

Nice find!