Viewer Request Speed Challenge

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Josh and David take on your request for a scratch build speed challenge!

David is using a huuuuge motor, the NTM 35-36A 1800Kv motor from Hobby King, with an 8 x 8 prop.

Josh is flying a new scratch build designed called the FT Vera Wing.

Both airplanes are equipped Airspeed Microsensors from Eagle Tree Systems.

This Airspeed System features Pitot tube that records the actual airspeed and will record the fastest speed and display it on the led screen.

The Spitfire David is flying is one that was featured in the Review Episode. In the background you can see the FT Versa wing and a few other wing setups that Josh will be testing out later.

The Spitfire is FAST! It's excited to see a scratch build plane maneuver so well at such speeds.

This speed challenge is a response to viewers requests to see David and Josh fly their fastest scratch built designs.

Time for the FT Versa wing to go up. After a few slow passes, Josh decided to attach David's Power Pod.

The Versa wing was fast as well! But it handled great!

The FT Versa wing was designed to be fast but also
versatile in how it's setup.

It can be setup to be a pusher, or FPV plane, a combat plane and more! Stay tuned for more on this wing!

Special thanks to Eagle Tree Systems for sending out the Airspeed Microsensor!

You can learn more about these microsensors and other cool stuff that they have available here:
www.eagletreesystems.com

Gryf

I really enjoyed that one! Man, the Spitfire was blistering fast. I'm not surprised it bent... just imagine the Gs it must have pulled while climbing out of that last pass. Josh, the wing looked - and performed - fantastic as well.

Cheers,

Gryf

tramsgar

Do lipo fires require oxygen? If not, a powder extinguisher will not do much... I'd expect Chad to have a CO2 extinguisher, being the guy who has everything and rockets in there =).

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Do lipo fires require oxygen? If not, a powder extinguisher will not do much... I'd expect Chad to have a CO2 extinguisher, being the guy who has everything and rockets in there =).

But it made good television...

It also helps keep the lipo fire from igniting the other parts of the aircraft.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
As far as I know, lipo fires are self sustaining. I have seen videos of lipos in closed containers continue to burn. The videos WERE on YouTube though, so that is not completely empirical data...

jim571a

As always good fun and really great tech. Would like to know if all Swedes are crazy or did you guys just get the best one?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Well, max current on that motor is listed at 65A, so I would use at least a 70A ESC but 80A would be better for keeping it cooler...

In the video, it looks like the K-force series, either a 70A or 100A.

Last edited:
If you are going for speed (not acceleration) does it matter what brand as long as you are over 80A ? like in this situation where you are just doing a speed test

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No, the brand doesn't usually matter as long as it puts out the rated amps. By going with a margin of safety above what the motor can draw, and testing actual draw with the prop on with a wattmeter will give you assurance you aren't going to kill anything. I always test a new setup just in case there is something funky causing more amp draw than expected.