VIFLY ShortSaver - New Generation Smoke Stopper

johnq816

Current smoke stoppers in market are all automative light-bulb or resettable fuse, both of them have some potential risk. VIFLY ShortSaver is a different one, it is electronic fuse.

1. Other smoke stoppers just limit not stop the current flow, the leakage current may still damage your components. VIFLY ShortSaver is a different smoke stopper that adopts the electronic fuse to completely cut off the current into your RC build if a short circuit or wiring mistake is detected.

2. VIFLY ShortSaver would turn off the power to a device that drew in excess of the switchable 1A or 2A threshold within just 10ms. It is far more effective than the old way of using light-bulb or resetting fuse. The shorter the protection time, the safer your build will be as something make break by the time the fuse trips.

For more details, https://www.viflydrone.com/smokestopper.html

shortsaver001.jpg

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
sounds interesting but are we introducing just one more electronic part that will fail at some point, .power consumption how much flight time will loose.. dimensions? weight is always a concern........anyone use these for any length of time.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
sounds interesting but are we introducing just one more electronic part that will fail at some point, .power consumption how much flight time will loose.. dimensions? weight is always a concern........anyone use these for any length of time.
Smokestoppers are meant for bench use, not for in the air. When you do your initial setup and checks after plugging everything in, you use it to prevent a short, or bad gear from "letting the smoke out" of your gear, or potentially letting the smoke out of your battery. I think these "smart" stoppers are a bit of overkill. A properly sized incandescent bulb is not going to let any more current through.

I added a switch to my bulb type for ease of turning the power on and off.
TestRig.jpg

Last edited:

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
Smokestoppers are meant for bench use, not for in the air. When you do your initial setup and checks after plugging everything in, you use it to prevent a short, or bad gear from "letting the smoke out" of your gear, or potentially letting the smoke out of your battery. I think these "smart" stoppers are a bit of overkill. A properly sized incandescent bulb is not going to let any more current through.
thanks for that..........I have no need for this

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This is named a "short saver".... So basically just trips. The nice thing about using a bulb is you can see the bulb glow below the "trip point" and know you may have other issues going on....

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Here is mine in actual use so you can see how it works and what important information a blinking bulb can divulge. (starts about the 16 minute mark for just the smoke stopper stuff)

johnq816

This video clearly shows how VIFLY ShortSaver can stop your build going up in smoke! It is a must-have accessory on your work bench.

johnq816

This is a comparison video with other smoke stoppers like the light-bulb or resettable fuse. After checking the video, you will know why VIFLY E-Fuse is better than others.

johnq816

I added a switch to my bulb type for ease of turning the power on and off.
View attachment 171735
Our ShortSaver V2 has also added the power switch, easier for binding receivers.

johnq816

"A smoke stopper is an essential tool for protecting your quad from damage. But until now, the light-bulb smoke stoppers were less than ideal. The ViFly ShortSaver is the smoke stopper you always wanted. It's small. It supports up to 6S voltage. And it uses e-fuses (not polyfuses) so when it shuts off, it really shuts off (and it doesn't light on fire). " ------- Review from Joshua Bardwell

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well like Bardwell says.. its kinda moot if you build big quads and it trips under normal conditions. Thats why I like my bulb set up. I can watch the flashing and tell that things are booting properly or if I get a solid light I know I haz issues. Just like in my video above. I did not know I would get beep codes after power up with no receiver powered up as I tested only the drive train on first test.

That said the product does its job well so I am in no way putting it down. For new builders smoke stoppers in any form is a must.
I just prefer the extra knowledge I get from the blinky blinky. Add that kind of functionality it your product and I am there. Until then Ill stick with my trusty 1157 bulb.

Tench745

Master member
I believe this thread belongs over in the "Shameless Self Promotion" section of the forum as it sounds like the poster is associated with the company. Perhaps an admin can move it?

Last edited: