Viggen EDF Suggestions

I am looking at building the Viggen EDF version. The Grayson Hobbies EDF kit mentioned in the build video has been out of stock for quite some time, so I am exploring alternatives.
In the X-29 vid, Josh mentions that FT is working on a EDF kit, but I don't see it in the store.
Suggestions for a 70mm edf, motor, esc appreciated.
Thanks!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I am looking at building the Viggen EDF version. The Grayson Hobbies EDF kit mentioned in the build video has been out of stock for quite some time, so I am exploring alternatives.
In the X-29 vid, Josh mentions that FT is working on a EDF kit, but I don't see it in the store.
Suggestions for a 70mm edf, motor, esc appreciated.
Thanks!
I am not sure what you are seeking but Flite Test Store has a kit listed see:- https://store.flitetest.com/flite-t...-electric-airplane-kit-700mm-flt-1010/p673674

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The power packs on that page are standard prop kits for making the pusher version of the Viggen.
I have one almost completed and it is to be powered by a 64mm EDF as per the build video and plans where a 70 mm EDF is an option!

Have fun!

Mozella

Interesting. I was led to believe the 64mm was barely enough power. What ESC and battery are you running?
60A RC Brushless Motor Electric Speed Controller ESC 4A UBEC with XT60 & 3.5mm bullet plugs by RCELECTRICPARTS.COM
I use a 4S with a max of 2000mah and a minumum of 850 mha. They give 1150g thrust fully charged to provide a 1.45:1 thrust/weight ratio, more or less depending on battery weight.
The aircraft flies right out of my hand when I give a gentle start with my right hand "Frisbee style". It's a guiding launch rather than a toss, very gentle with no attempt to provide any help since the thrust is more than sufficient.

60A RC Brushless Motor Electric Speed Controller ESC 4A UBEC with XT60 & 3.5mm bullet plugs by RCELECTRICPARTS.COM
I use a 4S with a max of 2000mah and a minumum of 850 mha. They give 1150g thrust fully charged to provide a 1.45:1 thrust/weight ratio, more or less depending on battery weight.
The aircraft flies right out of my hand when I give a gentle start with my right hand "Frisbee style". It's a guiding launch rather than a toss, very gentle with no attempt to provide any help since the thrust is more than sufficient.
Thanks for the info. Those are very reasonable prices. What motor you running?

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I'm looking into getting the Viggen and an EDF. I found a 33 dollar 3500 kv 64mm EDF on Amazon. Do you think a 40 amp ESC would work for this setup. Intended battery is a 3s 2200mAH Li-Po that I use for the Spitfire.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Oh wait I think I found a 60 amp ESC. Would That work?
The 60 amp esc would work with the 3500 kv edf. One difference between the 3500 mah edf and the 4500 mah edf is that the lower kv one is 4s rates so on 3s it won’t be running at it’s max potential, whereas the 4500 kv edf is rated at 3s so you will get more speed with it on 3s.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
So would the 3500 EDF still fly on a 3s? Someone up-thread mentioned that a 64 mm EDF was barely able to fly (#6 on this thread) as long as it flies and doesn't have to be at full throttle to keep it in the air is all I'm looking for. Thanks for all your help!

JDill

Love the Viggen! It can fly fast or slow, and you can just about park it in the air if you point it into the wind and raise the nose.

I recommend a 70mm 4s EDF. My choice has been either a ChangeSun 12-blade 2800kv or an FMS 12-blade 2750kv. I pair these with a 4s 3600mah battery to get the proper CG and used a 70a ESC.

ChangeSun link

FMS link

Another FMS link

Last edited: