RCrazy

Oops

Attachments

• IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

RCrazy

You'll have to forgive my lack if forum posting expertise. Trying to do it from my phone isn't helping but thats where my pictures are and Im too lazy to move them right now.

Well I finally got it finished! This is my first hotwire foam project. Once I saw the first Viggen video and how it was built I just had to try it. It was a very challenging build but lots of fun to learn something new. I have not done a maiden on it yet, waiting for a favorable day, lots of wind the last few weeks.

I think it came out pretty nice. Copied a Sweedish Air Force showplane called Darth Vader or Black Knight depending on where you look. Didn't think I had Chad's mad paint skills to do the grey scheme he did. It was my first venture into airbrushing as well. Used printed decals and glued them on and found gold pinstripe for the rest.

Changsun 10 blade fan
Turnigy L2855-2300 EDF motor (450w)
Birdie 50 Amp ESC (hope it hangs, pullin about 59a at full throttle)
Nanotech 2200 4S 35-70c

Hope to get it in the air soon and will post vid when I do, got tired of waiting before I posted all this. Let me know if I missed anything or if you have questions.

Attachments

• IMAG0151.jpg
    IMAG0151.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMAG0162.jpg
    IMAG0162.jpg
    970.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0163.jpg
    IMAG0163.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0203.jpg
    IMAG0203.jpg
    824.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0249.jpg
    IMAG0249.jpg
    869.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0250.jpg
    IMAG0250.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0283.jpg
    IMAG0283.jpg
    895.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0284.jpg
    IMAG0284.jpg
    1,008.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0285.jpg
    IMAG0285.jpg
    947.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMAG0312.jpg
    IMAG0312.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0314.jpg
    IMAG0314.jpg
    943.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0321.jpg
    IMAG0321.jpg
    926.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0326.jpg
    IMAG0326.jpg
    745.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0327.jpg
    IMAG0327.jpg
    868.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0313.jpg
    IMAG0313.jpg
    699.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG0330.jpg
    IMAG0330.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

RCrazy

Well maiden did not go well. Felt like something was wrong and should have held off. Think my motor is too low kV and ESC may be a bit small. Couple that with a girlie throw and there you have it. I think it will servive, a bit of foam to repair or maybe make a new section. Ordered new motor and ESC as well as 5s battery. Oh well, that's why we build em! Tried posting video but not getting something right. Will try tomorrow.

Last edited:

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
Whoa, you've got the hot wire skills like crazy. I only wish I had the patience for such a craft. *Thumbs Up

Jswan

Very nice!!
What did you use for the hot wire formers?
1/8 ply... or something thinner?
How did you cut them out? Knife... saw?
What glue did you use to glue the sections together?
I would very much like to give this a try!

Last edited:

RCrazy

Very nice!!
What did you use for the hot wire formers?
1/8 ply... or something thinner?
How did you cut them out? Knife... saw?
What glue did you use to glue the sections together?
I would very much like to give this a try!

I used 1/8" ply, cut out with a scroll saw. I used hot glue to put sections together, but have since found a better white glue called Weldbond from Ace hardware that I think is much stronger, but takes longer to set up. It was a very fun project and greatly expanded my modeling skills. Give it a try. Have fun and let me know if you have any other questions. Got it back together after not so good maiden. Gonna try it with a 5 cell this time and hope the ESC holds up. Should have used the 2800 kV motor instead of the 2300 but don't want to have to cut things up to get to it now.

Dylan

I would love to try to re-create a Viggen, or even a Corsair, Ive ordered all my parts for my Viggen and they are on there way, and I have all the foam, just how did you cut it out I'm assuming you used a Hotwire, What gauge/thickness of wire did you use David said .4mm but that is only like 3 ohms a foot, what did you use. Any help would be much appreciated. Beauty of a plane btw

RCrazy

Hey Dylan. I ended up making a cutter like David's. I tried an E acoustic guitar string at first but they burnt/broke too easily. I ordered some nichrome wire from somewhere online, I think here www.jacobs-online.biz/nichrome_wire.htm. .047-.056 is in the right range. I also ended up just direct wiring it to a 12v, 1000ma plug-in wall transformer I had. The brushed ESC and servo tester set up he did worked at first but then the ESC blew. Had to plug and un-plug the transformer as I went but it worked fine, you just have to go slow and let the wire do the cutting. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

kerrycorcoran

Can anyone assist me with scaling the PDF correctly? I reviewed the PDF and there isn't any scale; I'm unsure how to print to ensure I get the proper measurements to build my formers. Any help appreciated.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Can anyone assist me with scaling the PDF correctly? I reviewed the PDF and there isn't any scale; I'm unsure how to print to ensure I get the proper measurements to build my formers. Any help appreciated.

The first page of the tiled viggen plans has a scale printed on it. If you print it and it doesn't measure correctly you need to adjust your printers settings. (margins, fit to page etc etc)

If you are changing the original size of the plans you can do that with the print options in adobe acrobat version X

Hope that helps

p.s. this is the adobe video explaing tiled printing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOy8yXgTxrI

Last edited:

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Not sure which plans you're referring to. I downloaded the plans from the link (http://assets.flitetest.com/article_files/ViggenEDFplans_1367267897.pdf) on the page and there isn't any scaling or tiles.

To clarify, I am looking for the scale for the foam build (4" Blucore).

I was looking at this one.
http://www.stonekap.net/ftplans/FT-Viggen-TILED-PLANS.pdf

and this one in single page
http://www.stonekap.net/ftplans/FT-Viggen-plans.pdf

They both have scales for checking the print.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
The complete drawing size from its properties is 94.57X47.74 inches to give an idea of the actual size of each part.

Thurmond