Vimana89 Arrowhead Tailed Delta(Tried and Tested, Plans Released!)

Which name is best for this plane?

• Easy Ace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tree of Lift

• Arrowhead

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • One Sheet Wonder

• SBTD(Super Basic Tailed Delta)

• Other/Your Own Suggestion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vimana89

Legendary member
The 850 will have to be placed crossways all the way forward directly behind the motor mount for best CG. It flies great like this, though one could possibly use a slightly heavier battery if they would like it more nose heavy. If you can get it to run with 5g servos that would help trim a bit of weight too. The "Taillet" makes a massive difference in directional stability. the turns feel steadier and more "on rails" when I've added this to any delta(tailed or tailless) so far. It is a tiny trade off to the high alpha ability but not noticeable if you don't make it too large. The size I've added works great, but feel free to experiment if you wish.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Ready to fly!!!
P1280307.JPG

I had a CF arrow shaft lying around so I used is for the spine instead of using foam. She'll be a little overpowered because I'm using an F pack motor instead of an A sized one, but since when is that a problem:D It's been a really quick and simple build I've only spent about an hour and a half on it!!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Ready to fly!!!
View attachment 144675
I had a CF arrow shaft lying around so I used is for the spine instead of using foam. She'll be a little overpowered because I'm using an F pack motor instead of an A sized one, but since when is that a problem:D It's been a really quick and simple build I've only spent about an hour and a half on it!!
That's a good looking plane! I was wondering what the spar was you were using rather than the spine-very functional(and fitting!) choice. That should fly outstanding(y)

Vimana89

Legendary member
I think you'll really enjoy this plane if you get it flying as good or better than I have. I just took mine out again and put a battery through, and it is a joy to fly, and can fly very fast(or pretty slow) even with my 1806. At high speeds it is very stall resistant even in some higher G maneuvers. Yours might be a little more high alpha capable with the extra thrust. This isn't a super extreme high alpha plane, but it can do a little here and there as far as I've seen so far.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
She flies!! The wind finally died down enough for me to go flying, I got two flights on her and man was it fun, this is an awesome plane to fly and I highly suggest you try building one.
I did encounter a problem though I flipped her into high rates (about 45 degrees of throw on the ailerons) and did a barrel roll for about a second it was rolling like a drill bit and all was good, then it flipped or something it happened. It was so fast that I couldn't tell what happened, but it ended up in a tight spiral that I couldn't get out of. Into the ground she went, took the hit really well, I just need to re glue the motor pod on.
Do you have any idea of what could have happened?

Vimana89

Legendary member
She flies!! The wind finally died down enough for me to go flying, I got two flights on her and man was it fun, this is an awesome plane to fly and I highly suggest you try building one.
I did encounter a problem though I flipped her into high rates (about 45 degrees of throw on the ailerons) and did a barrel roll for about a second it was rolling like a drill bit and all was good, then it flipped or something it happened. It was so fast that I couldn't tell what happened, but it ended up in a tight spiral that I couldn't get out of. Into the ground she went, took the hit really well, I just need to re glue the motor pod on.
Do you have any idea of what could have happened?
Good to know you had fun, and that it generally flew well and the damage wasn't severe. What you experienced was a bit of funky stall characteristics I have yet to figure out. I was unsure whether all of it could have been my piloting skills. What happens sometimes when I have tired rolling is a drastic roll at high speed will get it doing this drill bit /corkscrew thing. I haven't tried a lot of barrel roll or axial rolls. If it goes into the downward spiral, thumb off the right stick and gun the throttle. chances are better than not she will break out, and then you can see your orientation and begin right stick inputs again. This is something I'd like to figure out and improve if I can. Everything about this plane is great, and it is even a forgiving and easy flyer, but high G rolls are a bit sketchy so far.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
I think the problem could be related to some type of tip stall. Trouble only happens with this plane turning way too drastically at low speed(especially with too little elevator), or when doing a high G roll at high speed. If somebody possibly knows how to resolve this issue I'd like to hear it.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I think the problem could be related to some type of tip stall. Trouble only happens with this plane turning way too drastically at low speed(especially with too little elevator), or when doing a high G roll at high speed. If somebody possibly knows how to resolve this issue I'd like to hear it.
Maybe @Hai-Lee knows...

Vimana89

Legendary member
Could be something I need to change or tweak a bit or could just be a different approach to rolling it successfully, who knows.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Could be something I need to change or tweak a bit or could just be a different approach to rolling it successfully, who knows.
If the plane is reacting like that I would guess that it requires a change to the plane. The solution might even be as simple as a wingtip plate...

Vimana89

Legendary member
If the plane is reacting like that I would guess that it requires a change to the plane. The solution might even be as simple as a wingtip plate...
Yeah I was thinking winglets. Planes like this usually have em, at least the fancy ready to fly deltas of lower aspect variety

Vimana89

Legendary member
I think the regular 90 degree plates would be the most fitting and simple style, but the bottom portion would scrape without landing gear. Might have to try the upturned ones or something. I'm not even sure if that would eliminate the issue. I'm going to do a bit more research but I'm pretty stumped at why this is happening to a more experienced pilot. There's something that needs to be adjusted but I'm not really seeing it except maybe the winglet thing.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'm going to fly this one a little more aggressively today. I won't purposely try any crazy high G rolls, but I'll try some wingovers and milder stuff, tight turns and whatnot and see what happens.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I'll try putting a winglet on to see what happens, If that doesn't work maybe a larger vertical stabilizer will help because it kinda looked like the plane entered a flat spin from what I remember...

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'll try putting a winglet on to see what happens, If that doesn't work maybe a larger vertical stabilizer will help because it kinda looked like the plane entered a flat spin from what I remember...
Just banged mine up pretty good trying higher G maneuvers. I think mine was purely a noob mistake not putting elevator in when I tried to just throw the stick and see what happened(roll, snap turn, whatever.) Just rolled over once and Dutch rolled/nosed down into the ground :(. Its cool though, it looks repairable for one more round of testing before having to fully rebuild. Going for some easy RET fun with the Floating Kidney for now, and then probably going to work on my Vulcan. So far, me and elevons haven't gotten along, but maybe that plane will change the trend.

It's cool to have somebody else flying this and giving me feedback(y). There's a lot of potential in the Arrowhead. In most respects, it flies outstanding, but theres a couple major issues that still need to be sorted out. I'll post the most recent successful flight videos and the crash later.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I added some winglets on!! There's no way to mount them on the wingtip because there wingtips are the ailerons so I mounted them slightly inboard, I also added a bit of a fillet on the front of the V satb to make it look a bit better. The plane felt heavy on my initial flights so I moved the CG back a little bit.

The battery is all charged up, so now I'm just waiting for the wind to die down so I can really see what the plane is doing and not the wind.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'm definitely thinking winglets will help, because of the high sweep this plane generates a lot of vortex stuff, good for lift, but maybe not the best thing to have just blowing around the wingtip are. The winglets will definitely reduce the turbulence around here. And yes, the vertical stabilizer could be made better.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Good luck! Too windy here to continue flying anything, although the morning was good enough to maiden the Vulcan and fly it a couple times after. I'll have to patch up my Arrowhead and try some winglets and stuff as well.