Vimana89 Arrowhead Tailed Delta(Tried and Tested, Plans Released!)

Which name is best for this plane?

• Easy Ace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tree of Lift

• Arrowhead

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • One Sheet Wonder

• SBTD(Super Basic Tailed Delta)

• Other/Your Own Suggestion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vimana89

Legendary member
New findings: with my 1806 setup and stepping up from a 5x3x3 to 5x3.7x4 prop, the slow speed handling and aerobatics are just out of this world. This rolls at a lot lower speed now. I personally like doing a series of stable axial rolls straight vertically up-not only does it look great, but your nose it straight up, so it's not a risky maneuver at all, especially with a gentle stalling plane like this.

L Edge

Master member
Ready to fly!!! It's raining today so I won't get to fly it, but tomorrow looks good:D
View attachment 145536

Would be interesting to use the first set of controls as elevons and program the tail(in mode 2) so it is an elevator. Would be interesting in high alpha as well as in forward flight if your tx allows it. Have you played around with differential ailerons? You should explore that.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Would be interesting to use the first set of controls as elevons and program the tail(in mode 2) so it is an elevator. Would be interesting in high alpha as well as in forward flight if your tx allows it. Have you played around with differential ailerons? You should explore that.
No I haven't played around with diff ailerons, I think my Tx supports them though:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Only works with elevons. Watch the difference in rolls to the right and left. Then explore differential. Stay high so no crashes.
I haven't considered this with the Arrowhead yet, as it's still a bit beyond my skill level/comfort zone, having just recently started successfully flying all varieties of standard 3ch setups(RET, AET, standard elevons, and a shot at V tail). I haven't gotten into fancier mixing like that yet, but actually starting to think about it, so I'm glad you mentioned it. I think now could be a good time though, as that would add massive elevator authority on high alpha, and put a lot more yank in that bank potentially:unsure:

L Edge

Master member
I haven't considered this with the Arrowhead yet, as it's still a bit beyond my skill level/comfort zone, having just recently started successfully flying all varieties of standard 3ch setups(RET, AET, standard elevons, and a shot at V tail). I haven't gotten into fancier mixing like that yet, but actually starting to think about it, so I'm glad you mentioned it. I think now could be a good time though, as that would add massive elevator authority on high alpha, and put a lot more yank in that bank potentially:unsure:

Watching your flying, I think you should start trying 4 channel stuff. Rudder improves and makes 3 axis flying just like the real ones. What commercial plane hasn't a rudder? You like high alpha, it will be even higher if you add rudder to the equation. How about crosswind landings Don't even try hovering unless you have rudder. It will open a new dimension.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Watching your flying, I think you should start trying 4 channel stuff. Rudder improves and makes 3 axis flying just like the real ones. What commercial plane hasn't a rudder? You like high alpha, it will be even higher if you add rudder to the equation. How about crosswind landings Don't even try hovering unless you have rudder. It will open a new dimension.
Yeah, that's right about where I'm headed for some upcoming projects around the end of this year and start of the next. Now that I've designed, built, and flown planes of every 3ch variety of control setups, It's definitely time to step it up to some 4ch builds! Once I get comfortable with a couple simple 4ch birds, I want to do an EDF build, and since EDF builds are a decent amount of work anyway, I want that to be 4ch, and after that, it's time to start trying some twin engine stuff.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I'm going to be doing a rebuild of this plane with the new plans. No CF rod this time because I'm saving it for another "secret" project:devilish:

Vimana89

Legendary member
I know it's going to be cool, whatever it is. I'd like to see you build and fly something super fast, and bonus if its a bit unusual. Thinking back through all the planes I've designed and built, I can definitely think of at least one type that would benefit most from using an Arrow shaft as a spine.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Here's some really off the wall stuff I've got planned for the near future myself; you already know about the multi-wing delta, but I want to make a straight multi-wing project too. Ideally, a four wing/four decker straight wing that looks a lot like a normal biplane or triplane up front, but with four wings. As for controls, 3ch RET would be easy, but I'm tempted to try 3ch V tail elevons and go with non dihedral wings. I really want to make a four wing plane that's practical and fun to fly, and super duper floaty. I've also been tossing around more variations of my slender delta to try to get it closer to perfect and more well rounded as a flyer.

To stay on and add to the subject of the Arrowhead: The next step is to make that rudder live and do 4ch! It will be a bit difficult to set up a system to run dual rudders off one servo and still have the elevator on the tail plane so we'll have do design it so all that can operate together and be the sizes they need to be. An EDF version with the unit in a nacelle blowing right back over the tail plane with the elevator and rudders would be something phenomenal.

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Only the electronics and the winglets remain!
P1280406.JPG

Vimana89

Legendary member
Working on renovating page one to reflect all the new developments and proper dimensions and stats for propotype 2/realease version 1.0. We've got several awesome builders/pilots on board already; @Grifflyer, who made the plans and is an expert at inverted and fast becoming one at high alpha too, @mayan, who stepped out of his comfort zone a bit to find he was actually quite comfortable and savvy with deltas(at least tailed ones), @The Hangar, who has such a well diversified taste in planes and experience in flying(how long have you been flying again, dude?), is in the process of building one now and will certainly do it more justice. Others have expressed at least a passing interest. Myself and all the others that have built it so far are here to help whoever else might be interested to make this bird "their own"(it's a very versatile platform!) just hit us up and we'll have you flying this smooth and easy yet unique design in no time(y)