Vimana89 Arrowhead Tailed Delta(Tried and Tested, Plans Released!)

Which name is best for this plane?

• Easy Ace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tree of Lift

• Arrowhead

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • One Sheet Wonder

• SBTD(Super Basic Tailed Delta)

• Other/Your Own Suggestion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vimana89

Legendary member
Thanks for all the kind words and good reviews, glad you are enjoying the Arrowhead. I wanted a plane that was unique, easy to make, and extremely versatile in its flight envelope, and this delivers. I couldn't have done this without the community and all the help and encouragementđź‘Ť

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
And she's maidened! I need to fix the firewall but I had such a blast! This is #1 in my hangar right now;)
Great maiden!! I've found that throttle control is everything with high alphaing this plane, once you get that down the plane really starts showing its full capabilities:) For example when I usually high alpha I'll pull the elevator back to one spot and control the angle of attack using the throttle, I'll also make sure I never max out the elevator when I high alpha so I have a little extra in case I need it...

A cool thing for you to try is try going up 20-30 ft. and then try and high alpha to the ground. The goal is to try get it falling straight down while in a high alpha. I've gotten it almost vertical. I want to see if you can figure it out, if not I tell you what to do...Oh, and doing it into lots of wind is cheating:LOL:

mayan

Legendary member
Your basically harriering it brusting it with throttle, to keep it high alpha without movement, at least that is what I would do :).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Great maiden!! I've found that throttle control is everything with high alphaing this plane, once you get that down the plane really starts showing its full capabilities:) For example when I usually high alpha I'll pull the elevator back to one spot and control the angle of attack using the throttle, I'll also make sure I never max out the elevator when I high alpha so I have a little extra in case I need it...

A cool thing for you to try is try going up 20-30 ft. and then try and high alpha to the ground. The goal is to try get it falling straight down while in a high alpha. I've gotten it almost vertical. I want to see if you can figure it out, if not I tell you what to do...Oh, and doing it into lots of wind is cheating:LOL:
Ok - I’ll try it! I need to fix the motor mount first.

mayan

Legendary member
I recently painted my 3mm FB Arrowhead and swapped out the F pack motor to an A pack motor, I needed the F pack for an FT Goblin :).

7A3CD848-DC73-4385-9228-3D9E4F0D945C.jpeg

4411637C-1A9F-4A56-8414-8236ACFDCF09.jpeg

170C2204-1339-4FCA-A190-B86275D295DA.jpeg

mayan

Legendary member
Yesterday and today I went to the field and maidened the Arrowhead by @Vimana89 and @Grifflyer and boy was I having fun. Yesterday's outing ended short because I broke the tail part of the fuselage and my battery powered hot glue gun refused to work so I couldn't field repair the damage. Today's outing on the other hand was amazing, and I managed to fly two whole batteries taking my flying with the Arrowhead to top of my flying skills. I still haven't editted the video from today's outing but here is the outing from yesterday, enjoy!

Vimana89

Legendary member
@mayan Nice! I love the two tone green. At first I was wondering what happened too when the plane just went down righ after launch. Busted power pod could have been worse if it caused a crash higher up, even though your field glue gun didn't work it must have been an easy job to fix at home. That area of the fuselage is a bit prone to snapping/ripping like that on impact, but a very easy fix. Keep up the great flying, can't wait to see your new footageđź‘Ť

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@Vimana89 I flew the arrowhead again yesterday in our backyard. The total flyable space is like 1/4 of an acre maybe a tad bit more with neighbors on one several sides and a number of large trees in our yard. I was nervous to try it but really wanted to see if I could, since the only plane I’ve been able to fly in it is the champ which is kinda boring and even a little tight. The arrowhead did so well! I improved at my high alpha a lot, did some hovering, and just has such a blast. It’s my favorite plane for sure, and being able to fly it in our yard is a huge plus. Thanks again for such an epic design - love it so much!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
@Vimana89 I flew the arrowhead again yesterday in our backyard. The total flyable space is like 1/4 of an acre maybe a tad bit more with neighbors on one several sides and a number of large trees in our yard. I was nervous to try it but really wanted to see if I could, since the only plane I’ve been able to fly in it is the champ which is kinda boring and even a little tight. The arrowhead did so well! I improved at my high alpha a lot, did some hovering, and just has such a blast. It’s my favorite plane for sure, and being able to fly it in our yard is a huge plus. Thanks again for such an epic design - love it so much!
I want to see a video of that!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Glad to hear! I did intend this to be a very versatile plane that can do many things.It's awesome that it fills the roll for a flyer you can use in a small space, it can definitely fly in limited spaces yet still be interesting. It's cool to hear you are also getting more confident at high alpha. Can't wait to see the footage(y)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So I finally fixed my arrowhead after diving it into the ground. After the repairs, it just didn’t fly like I remembered it. I flew it in our backyard and I struggled since when I tried to turn, the ailerons wouldn’t turn it as well as I expected. I found myself tryin fb to move the rudder stick bit of course that didn’t help the flying, but it did help get the creative juices flowing... what I’m thinking is chipping off the existing tail and adding a V tail. V tails are much more maneuverable, right? What do you guys think about this project?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
So I finally fixed my arrowhead after diving it into the ground. After the repairs, it just didn’t fly like I remembered it. I flew it in our backyard and I struggled since when I tried to turn, the ailerons wouldn’t turn it as well as I expected. I found myself tryin fb to move the rudder stick bit of course that didn’t help the flying, but it did help get the creative juices flowing... what I’m thinking is chipping off the existing tail and adding a V tail. V tails are much more maneuverable, right? What do you guys think about this project?
I've never heard of v tails being more maneuverable, but it wouldn't hurt to test.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
IMG_20200108_193233.jpg