Vimana89 Arrowhead Tailed Delta(Tried and Tested, Plans Released!)

Which name is best for this plane?

• Easy Ace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tree of Lift

• Arrowhead

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • One Sheet Wonder

• SBTD(Super Basic Tailed Delta)

• Other/Your Own Suggestion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Here's the V-Tail Arrowhead with the improved thrust angle. My brother has taken to calling it the "Triangle" so I think that's its name now.
IMG_20200206_180027.jpg

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I flew the V-Tailed Arrowhead again today, and it flew great. No video since my cameraman was otherwise occupied. Turns out that on my last attempt it was very tail heavy, and I'm not sure why. Having no thrust angle certainly didn't help either. I moved the battery and that fixed the problem.
Handling was very gentle and easy, I did have to keep above 3/4 throttle which seemed a bit high but that may just be the power system I was using. The added 2 degrees right thrust was nearly perfect, the plane flew on rails. I'm going to remove the down thrust though, I don't think it really needs it since it tried to dive if I let up off the elevator. I didn't do any high alpha aerobatics, this was actually my first successful flight with any powered fixed-wing aircraft outside of a simulator. As a beginner I found it very easy to handle.
Unfortunately I lost orientation while trying to add elevator trim and pile drived it before I could recover. I wasn't exactly 3 mistakes high, my normal flying field is in controlled airspace and I'm limited to 200' AGL maximum. The nose is totaled so I'll have to build a new wing, everything behind that is fine however. All the electronics survived and I can reuse the tail and my dowel fuselage. So far one thing I love about this design is its simplicity. Despite totaling the aircraft it should still take only a few minutes to fix just as soon as I get more foamboard since I'm out. I'm also out of props, I just ordered 4 that should arrive Friday-ish.