Vimana89 Arrowhead Tailed Delta(Tried and Tested, Plans Released!)

Which name is best for this plane?

• Easy Ace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tree of Lift

• Arrowhead

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • One Sheet Wonder

• SBTD(Super Basic Tailed Delta)

• Other/Your Own Suggestion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'd go with twin tails!!
Done. It will look nice and symmetrical too with winglets and twin tails. So we've also got turbulence reduction on the wing tips AND both sides of the tail plane. This should prevent any problems with air flow as far as I can imagine.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Everything is drawn out for the new prototype. I'm using a 20/20 wing, winglets, twin tails, and a nube tube A fold straight box. Will post pics when air frame starts taking shape, and measurements too.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Scrap the straight nube tube. A fold that long makes this way more hassle than it looks like. I'm drawing up a basic fuselage based on the one I just used for the '39. This will be simple A folds and exposed core on the sides of the extra plates for the prototype.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Assembly so far to show how it will look. Winglets and ailerons not added yet. One side VS added. Nothing attached to the fuselage yet. I made the fuselage somewhat skeletal to save weight, time, and glue.

Attachments

• IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Looks Awesome!!
I really hope this solves the problem, because this plane is a bit more work now than before, but mostly because it looks even more unique and very distinctive now, and would be wonderful if it flew well and could do the full range of basic maneuvers. If coolness was lift and stability this would be a no brainer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'm at the same progress level with this and the '39. Not much glue left. Gonna take a break, do a preliminary clean up of my work area, dig out any spare glue sticks that might be hiding and decide if option A, I want to run to the store and see about picking up glue sticks, option B, finish up one plane and wait on the other for now.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'll finish this one up and grab glue later or tonight. I can use the old Arrowheads electronics and save a fresh motor for the new '39 when I get glue.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Took a break most of the day, came back and finished up. I need to test electronics and set up channels and stuff on the TX.

Attachments

• IMG_1164.JPG
    IMG_1164.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
THIS PLANE ROLLS(y):cool:(and flips, turns good, slow flies, doesn't stall)! Our aerodynamic tomfoolery worked, and this odd bird flies as sweet as she looks now. Hopefully my camera angle was good cause I got maiden and some subsequent flights with a couple quick rolls. No drill bit thing, I did single rolls and kept flying. Conclusion: with the proper aerodynamic considerations, a tailed delta is not an inherently bad design at all, and can make an excellent flyer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
THIS PLANE ROLLS(y):cool:(and flips, turns good, slow flies, doesn't stall)! Our aerodynamic tomfoolery worked, and this odd bird flies as sweet as she looks now. Hopefully my camera angle was good cause I got maiden and some subsequent flights with a couple quick rolls. No drill bit thing, I did single rolls and kept flying. Conclusion: with the proper aerodynamic considerations, a tailed delta is not an inherently bad design at all, and can make an excellent flyer.
SWEET!!! I can't wait to build one!!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Only issues I'm still having are the plane seems a tiny bit tail heavy, and I've made my right thrust a little too extreme, which gives it a bias towards the right side and doesn't let me roll to the left, just banks. That's all build slop though and nothing to do with design, and with all that, and doing loops and rolls, the plane has not entered a critical stall once. You should be able to achieve desired CG just from using the 2205 motor, and I'll try that size on my next build some time down the road.

Our science was good:geek:(y). You suggested that because of the tail plane and wing being one piece/short coupled together the tail plane was acting like part of the wing. This was instantly bad news to me from my experiments with compound delta shapes. I also remembered some discussions with @Dr. Looping Looie about tailed deltas. The main fix was putting some fuselage length in between the tail plane and wing. That said, I figured the strong vortices created by the delta wing could still interfere. The extra precautions were going with the relatively unswept tail plane, and the two-stage system of winglets to dampen the vortices at the wing tips, and twin tails to fence off any remaining turbulence from interfering with the tail plane. All of these extra measures seem to have payed off.

I have a couple errands to run, but I'll start getting the measurements ready.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Uncut video. Decent roll at 2:30, best rolls between 3:20 and 3:50. Tons of loops throughout, a little commentary.

Vimana89

Legendary member
back from more testing at dusk. Getting much better at rolls! This plane is surprisingly aerobatic, and can combo loops and rolls and transition really smoothly. The possible tail-heaviness, mainly ballooning, was more trim related. I have to remount motor to fix thrust angle, but for now it still flies great, just won't roll to the left. Going to get dimensions listed now.

Vimana89

Legendary member
For @Grifflyer and anyone else building this, here are the dimensions. If you can't see something or have questions, just ask. I did not include my fuselage. It is a sort of skeletal folded box, it is really basic and nothing special, so not worth my taking all the measurements or anyone trying to replicate or reverse engineer exactly. In the beta phase with no plans, I encourage builders to do the fuselage their way. I included how much nose to have sticking out past the wing and how much fuselage length should be in between the wing
and tail plane.

CORRECTION/UPDATE: Fuselage length between wing and tail plane should properly read 5 and a half inches, not 5.5 inches. Overall fuselage length should be exactly the long ways length of a foam sheet, which is about 30".

Attachments

• IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1170.JPG
  • IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Update: fuselage length between wing and tail plane is 5 and a half inches, not 5.5 inches exact. I had it listed wrong in the first pic. And FYI, total fuselage length should be about 30", the exact length of one foam sheet longways!

Attachments

• IMG_1172.JPG
    IMG_1172.JPG

Vimana89

Legendary member
I have more footage and have to do some editing. This plane doesn't just roll, it rolls very nicely. A barrel roll should be no problem, some of the rolls I've done so far have been very axial. Dialed in right with a 2205 I see this having some more high alpha and hover potential than with the 1806, which isn't extreme, but already is not too bad. This wasn't meant to be a dedicated extreme high alpha flyer though, but an all-around sporty and aerobatic flyer, which it definitely is.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
For @Grifflyer and anyone else building this, here are the dimensions. If you can't see something or have questions, just ask. I did not include my fuselage. It is a sort of skeletal folded box, it is really basic and nothing special, so not worth my taking all the measurements or anyone trying to replicate or reverse engineer exactly. In the beta phase with no plans, I encourage builders to do the fuselage their way. I included how much nose to have sticking out past the wing and how much fuselage length should be in between the wing
and tail plane.

CORRECTION/UPDATE: Fuselage length between wing and tail plane should properly read 5 and a half inches, not 5.5 inches. Overall fuselage length should be exactly the long ways length of a foam sheet, which is about 30".
Nice I'm gonna start work on this after I finish up the frame for the spit!!