Vimana89 Arrowhead Tailed Delta(Tried and Tested, Plans Released!)

Which name is best for this plane?

• Easy Ace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tree of Lift

• Arrowhead

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • One Sheet Wonder

• SBTD(Super Basic Tailed Delta)

• Other/Your Own Suggestion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vimana89

Legendary member
That flies nice!!
It's extremely fun too and hasn't had any type of critical stall! I think this one's a winner. With your building and flying skills, I know you'll have a blast when you get around to building yours, and this time the plane will be able to keep up with everything you want it to do(y)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Where's the CG located? I should have ready to fly tomorrow evening:D
I'm flying with CG located 7 and 3/4" back from leading edge/front of wing. You might find later it could be more your preference a little forward or back, but this is working perfect for me.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Also, can't wait to see how yours turns out! Having someone with more experience in the hobby then myself test this one has already helped me make it so much better.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Ready to fly!!! It's raining today so I won't get to fly it, but tomorrow looks good:D
P1280315.JPG

Vimana89

Legendary member
Ready to fly!!! It's raining today so I won't get to fly it, but tomorrow looks good:D
View attachment 145536
That looks nice! Extra light, strong, and low drag. Looks like you reduced the width of the flat part at the front of the wing. I've been wanting to do that but left it to be safe with a tractor prop, but I tried a 6" prop and seems to cause no problem if the front is a bit skinny compared to the prop. If yours flies good like that I will keep that change in the design on the next build. Good luck with flying tomorrow, that's a good looking plane and should fly great 👍

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
She flies a lot better, much more stable and maneuverable. I still don't know what fixed it, but hey, it works:D

I'd highly recommend this plane for anyone looking for a fun flier. It slows down really nice and gets going pretty quick, it's also really stable and can do all the basic aerobatics!!

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
She flies a lot better, much more stable and maneuverable. I still don't know what fixed but hey, it works:D

I'd highly recommend this plane for anyone looking for a fun flier. It slows down really nice and gets going pretty quick, it's also really stable and can do all the basic aerobatics!!
Awesome flying! Super clean build as well. I knew this one was great as soon as I got it in the air and did a few maneuvers, but man you really show its max potential! Nice inverted:eek:, my flying skill is not there yet, but it looks like my design is(y)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Also, I really appreciate you building and flying this plane and helping me with the process. Your feedback was instrumental in helping me make the changes needed to make it fly like it does now. I hope you're having fun with it!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I just got back from flying her, I've said it before I'll say it again, it's really stable and maneuverable. I found out something really cool that it can do, I'll have to get it on video later today.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I just got back from flying her, I've said it before I'll say it again, it's really stable and maneuverable. I found out something really cool that it can do, I'll have to get it on video later today.
Wow, awesome to hear the plane continues to perform exceptionally well for you! I can't wait to see this new trick, and wonder what you could possibly even do that you haven't already done.🤔

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Wow, awesome to hear the plane continues to perform exceptionally well for you! I can't wait to see this new trick, and wonder what you could possibly even do that you haven't already done.🤔
It's not technically a trick, I was just surprised at well it could high alpha, I found myself looking for a rudder a lot, that first crash was caused by not having a rudder.

Vimana89

Legendary member
It's not technically a trick, I was just surprised at well it could high alpha, I found myself looking for a rudder a lot, that first crash was caused by not having a rudder.
I was thinking of what you could possibly have found and thought it could be that. I discovered that as well, it high alphas beautifully, but does not have control or stability to maneuver in high AOA like the V Sliver because it lacks a rudder. :unsure::unsure:Would this plane be super amazing on 4ch or what:cool:? Great flying once again by the way!

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've hovered mine just like that too but when you try to turn and maneuver while maintaining high alpha it gets almost impossible. Beautiful work for not having a rudder, my dude(y)

Vimana89

Legendary member
I just tinkered with the motor mount on mine. She should left roll now and fly even straighter. Not sure I've got quite enough down thrust but I can always switch it up again. @Grifflyer, your building and flying this one with me gives me a lot of confidence. This is a unique plane, as there are not many proper tailed deltas out there, either full scale or RC. Between finding the flaws with the first prototype and building the second, I really wasn't sure if my hunches about how to fix it were even correct or well-founded, or if my knowledge base was enough to solve the problem. I thought I might just be shooting in the dark, I'd build it, and it would fly just like the first one and have the same stall behavior, meaning A: tailed deltas inherently have problems and aren't a very good planform, or B: There is a solution but I'm barking up the wrong tree with my fixes.

Turns out, it was neither of those things. Tailed deltas are sweet, and my fixes, at least one of them if not the whole shebang, solved the issue. You keep putting the this plane through the paces in ways I can't quite do yet, which is perfect, because this version hasn't missed a beat. The limitations on maneuverability in high alpha are a given with a 3ch build with no rudder, yet you still worked some decent high alpha. I say the design is just about perfected for 3ch.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Going to see if I can get some flight time in today. still been rolling poorly to the left even with the motor mount adjustment, but it's such a small thing, not noticeable in stable flight or banks, and I can roll plenty well to the right. Going to see how I feel about the handling on this after flying the new slender delta, which is less maneuverable in pretty much every way except possibly rolls faster. Looking forward to rebuilding this super nice when the time comes, but hopefully not too soon, as I've got a lot of other projects and want this one to last so I can just throw it around as my any time go-to flyer.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Going to see if I can get some flight time in today. still been rolling poorly to the left even with the motor mount adjustment, but it's such a small thing, not noticeable in stable flight or banks, and I can roll plenty well to the right. Going to see how I feel about the handling on this after flying the new slender delta, which is less maneuverable in pretty much every way except possibly rolls faster. Looking forward to rebuilding this super nice when the time comes, but hopefully not too soon, as I've got a lot of other projects and want this one to last so I can just throw it around as my any time go-to flyer.
What are your rates? I'm running around 40 degrees of deflection on the ailerons and I've had no problem rolling left...

Vimana89

Legendary member
What are your rates? I'm running around 40 degrees of deflection on the ailerons and I've had no problem rolling left...
Going to have to dial my trim in better and try some more left rolls to see where it really stands. I have no dual rates set at the moment, and will have to check what I have for expo on this one, if anything at all. I just got back from flying, and man was this a blast. The slender delta rolls way faster and has more knife-like(but longer) banks, but it's nowhere near as maneuverable and not as stable as this design, and on the 1806, lacks the low end of the speed envelope and high alpha of the Arrowhead. The Arrowhead works great on 1806 and gives the option to go bigger, but the slender delta almost demands an overpowered motor to get a full flight envelope and enough lift and thrust to support it's high alpha potential due to its great symmetrical air flow, making it more a niche plane and shorter flight times, and the Arrowhead a better all-arounder.