Vimana89 Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 Foam Board Park Flyer

Vimana89

Legendary member
Coming soon, with 1806 motors, 5x4x6 props,basic build style,and close to scale but not exact dimensions. I am going with the newer, Bombardier Q400 version with the longer fuselage, as opposed to older versions such as the De Havilland versions.Size range will be approximately 750-775mm long by 50-56mm wide with a 650-700mm wingspan and 30mm nacelle width. Figuring out what battery size will be best, I have a 2200mah 3s 50c and 1600 45c. I think I'll try the bigger one first.

Vimana89

Legendary member
A quick question to those with a bit more experience; which battery would be ideal to maiden my Dash with the Approximate dimensions of a 760mm long by 54mm wide fuselage, 650-675mm wingspan? I have available a 2200 mah 50c that weighs about 6.8 ounces, about 200g, and a 45c 1600mah that weighs about 5.5 ounces, or 155g. This is on two FT radial 1806 motors with 5x4x6 props. Are either of these ideal, if not, what battery should I get?

jpot1

Elite member
That is about the wingspan of the ft minis which fly well with an 850 3s. Definitely the smaller one if that’s all you have.

Vimana89

Legendary member
It is a twin engine, so I'm figuring it should have twice the size battery which would be 1700, so the 1600 should be spot on,while the 2200 would be heavy but provide a boatload of flight time. That sound about right to anyone who flies twins?

jpot1

Elite member
I hear you but I’m thinking about wing loading. The wing chord on the dash 8 is pretty narrow. If the plane weighs too much it’s gonna fly like a brick. Well a brick powered by two motors so a fast brick. :)

Vimana89

Legendary member
I hear you but I’m thinking about wing loading. The wing chord on the dash 8 is pretty narrow. If the plane weighs too much it’s gonna fly like a brick. Well a brick powered by two motors so a fast brick. :)
The 2200 I bought because I originally thought I was going to build a larger Dash with 2205 sized motors. It didn't cost me too much and could be nice for a future project. The 1600 is one I've had sitting around a while. I can always just order something lighter, like a 1300mah, if I can find one with a good chunk less weight than my 1600, would this be better?

rcfred

I always go with the lightest battery possible for a maiden flight. You’re less likely to experience a tip stall with less weight. And if you do have a less-than-perfect landing, there will be less damage. Just make sure the center of gravity is in the right place and set your timer for 2-3 minutes. Once you have trimmed out the plane and verified the CG you can switch to a larger battery.

Vimana89

Legendary member
All parts ordered(y). My electronics loadout will be:
Motors/Props:2x FT Radial 1806, 2x Raycorp 5x4x6
ESC's: 2x BL Heli 20A
Servos: 3x 9g blue bulk servos
Battery: Tattu 3s 1300mAh 45C continuous 90C burst
I've already posted approximate dimensions. Exact ones to come when I have them.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Parts due to arrive in the next few days. I will get to work experimenting on a fuselage design, first and foremost. I'm going maximum looks for minimum effort, as much as that is possible. I want it very basic to build but still match the character and profile of the plane, though it will use only a couple basic curves at the nose area. I have to sit down with some foam and really work with it, but one idea I've gone through in my head is looking promising. The wing will probably use something like a KFM airfoil, that will be another area I'll have to experiment with a bit, to keep the techniques as basic as possible but the looks and performance high.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Enough jibber jabber, time for some visible progress. Here's my first mockup of a fuselage. Went totally better than expected, and came out as I envisioned in my mind. It is the most basic thing I think a person can build that still accurately captures the look of a Dash 8. It might not look super impressive to very experienced builders but it's a new leap for me. I will leave the top open until electronics and wing installed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'll be tackling the nacelles here next in the next few days. My nacelles will be 30mm wide to accommodate a mini firewall, and they will have intakes at the bottom for a scale look and superior ESC cooling. The back of my nacelles will be open or at least provide exit holes for the air flow. The mouths of my intakes will be oval like the real thing, by using a curved band of FB stripped of paper on one side(been watching a bit of master series).

Vimana89

Legendary member
The rest of my parts should be here today! Today or tomorrow, I will begin work on the next big portion, which will be more complicated than the fuselage. I'll be building the wing and engine nacelles and mounting them on. After that, I'll be going for the VS and T tail assembly. Next, I will attach those three major components and install the electronics and linkages, close everything up, and get ready to program thrust differentials.