Vintage Model Company Simple Cub

jack954

I started looking into balsa kits and I began to see things about this balsa cub in some flitetest videos. I thought it would be a good plane to start as a balsa kit and ended up getting one for Christmas. I started the build last week and have made some progress.
IMG_7574.jpg IMG_7573.jpg
I am starting to cover the plane now. This is my first time covering a plane and I don't think I pulled the cover tight enough when I ironed, so I may have to redo a small section. So far it's a fun process! This plane is a really easy build.
https://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/balsa-basics-simple-cub-42-1070mm-3ch-trainer.html

Jackson T

Elite member
Nice work! Covering is probably the hardest part of the build, I still have trouble with covering film on most of my builds. If the covering isn't tight enough after ironing, you can use a heat gun carefully to shrink it. just make sure you don't burn through the covering. I'll be following this build, good luck!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
If I had $65 to spend I'd consider this! I've wanted to try balsa for a while, but haven't gotten to it yet. I'll be following your progress for sure. I didn't know ft had teamed up to do balsa - that's really cool!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
If I had $65 to spend I'd consider this! I've wanted to try balsa for a while, but haven't gotten to it yet. I'll be following your progress for sure. I didn't know ft had teamed up to do balsa - that's really cool!
It's not an FT model - it's the https://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/ and James who works for them has a youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzk7YQfvRo9MmuIkHgy7fXw - he's the same James who used to work with FT contributing many articles and he also designed the FT style Mini Vampire model.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I am starting to cover the plane now. This is my first time covering a plane and I don't think I pulled the cover tight enough when I ironed, so I may have to redo a small section. So far it's a fun process! This plane is a really easy build.
I see most people tack, trim, seal and then shrink the covering film. I did it this way too and usually ended up with wrinkles that won't shrink out even with a heat gun, especially in corners. Now I leave the excess film while shrinking. If there are wrinkles that won't shrink out use a heat gun and pull the film to stretch it tight. This technique will allow you to stretch the film over compound curves like wing tips. Don't trim the excess film until all the wrinkles have been removed by shrinking and stretching the film.

jack954

I finished the wing and it came out pretty well.
IMG_7576.jpg IMG_7577.jpg
I had some trouble at first because all I had was a clothes iron and a blow dryer. I ended up getting a heat gun and it made a huge difference for covering the wings.
I Just need to finish covering the fuse, and if all goes well I should be able to maiden it Sunday.

jack954

I see most people tack, trim, seal and then shrink the covering film. I did it this way too and usually ended up with wrinkles that won't shrink out even with a heat gun, especially in corners. Now I leave the excess film while shrinking. If there are wrinkles that won't shrink out use a heat gun and pull the film to stretch it tight. This technique will allow you to stretch the film over compound curves like wing tips. Don't trim the excess film until all the wrinkles have been removed by shrinking and stretching the film.
There were some spots at the beginning where I didn't have enough excess and had to redo it. It is definitely easier not being conservative on the covering.

jack954

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

jack954

Looks good, did a nice job on the covering for the first time too. I checked out the website and most of what they have is pretty basic stuff, no 4 channel, I liked the SE5 they have too.
Thanks! It turned out better than I thought.
On some of the comments of the build video they said they were working on a super cub with ailerons. They also have a wing covering video where they use a cub wing with ailerons, but I'm not sure when that will come out.
I copied the wing ribs in case I wanted to make it 4 channel.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks! It turned out better than I thought.
On some of the comments of the build video they said they were working on a super cub with ailerons. They also have a wing covering video where they use a cub wing with ailerons, but I'm not sure when that will come out.
I copied the wing ribs in case I wanted to make it 4 channel.
3 channel should just be AET anyway. Your Cub should fly nice and slow, might even be able to use it indoors

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Was able to maiden the cub today and it flew great! I'm able to fly it very slow, but can also get some speed with the B pack motor. Had over a 5 minute flight time and still had 12.1 volts left on my 1300 3s. I'm really glad how it turned out!
Cool! If I start to do indoor flying, I’ll consider getting one of these!