Virgin Galactic VSS Unity SpaceShipTwo

leaded50

Legendary member
I got a 70mm EDF free, since a seaplane jet wsnt possible to get functional as intended without opening up more for air , and then also possibillity for water at intakes.

Found then one plane/spaceship on my "list" was possible would fit this EDF nicely. Yeah, i need som extra intakes/cheater holes than on original rocket version.
Its unusual unique, a very special design that fit me great, when just sitting here medicined anyway waiting for even another operation in approx 14 + days..

Approx 1000 +mm length, a adjusted wingspan from scale to approx 600mm.
Other changes will be fully wheel retracts, not just frontskid, and the two others wheels as on original.
The "wingsides/tail booms" is orginally possible to raise close to vertically for floating in space, with big "flaps" between,and some small elevator surfaces on tail stabilizers.
Here i plan to make the hole booms and the "flaps/ailerons" surfaces rotating together as a deltawing with elevons functionality. Then dont need any servo functions on the elevator parts on tail-booms.
Rudders on the booms, ive not decided about yet. On the original, it has some parts similar to two vertical "things" at end of exhaust port. Perhaps can make some rudders there?

Model needed be made in two parts, where the EDF should fit into front of the rear part. Shape of the fuselage is quite similar to a smaller passenger jet, who do it easyer to build, since could use the experiences from earlyer builds.
Of course, its gonna get a similary of the originalpaint scheme :)

14b.jpg0BA6F104-6142-4F8E-8C5E-EA23618AD0F5Zoom.jpg
Virgin Galactic Unity5.jpg

Phin G

Elite member
Awesome, i was waiting to see if a person would make one. I’ll definitely be following the build. Do you know if you will release any plans? Nice build so far. :)

leaded50

Legendary member
working with rear part. Here the internal "cross" is gonna be removed after skins is made in place, and just some strips in front to half installed. Rear part is made accurate to EDFs thrusttube
DSC_0993 (1).JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
Awesome, i was waiting to see if a person would make one. I’ll definitely be following the build. Do you know if you will release any plans? Nice build so far. :)
already buildt too much, also individually made parts at place on fuselage, eg. to can make plans. Sorry. My medicined status time to time", dont make me exactly clear in planning. I have an idea, photos or 3D view drawings for reference and just go along. In clearer moments check whats done, if is ok, or change to get correct.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
already buildt too much, also individually made parts at place on fuselage, eg. to can make plans. Sorry. My medicined status time to time", dont make me exactly clear in planning. I have an idea, photos or 3D view drawings for reference and just go along. In clearer moments check whats done, if is ok, or change to get correct.
how are you planning to make the intakes for the edf?

leaded50

Legendary member
how are you planning to make the intakes for the edf?
as you see, its already made some "triangles" on the side of fuselage, and together with a square ribbed intake in front of wing, its bigger than the EDF area. And if needed, it gets a few cheater holes. Eg, let a few round windows on sides be open. Also it will be a opening at rear from the frontwheel well, in front of the ribbed intake in front of wing. Perhaps it would be enough with the sidewindows open, and can close the triangle-scoops on the side..... testing will show. Calculatet at moment, its intakes are 35% more than the EDF, and will suppose some effects on air direction can give alternations needed.

DSC_0998.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
waiting for the CF tubes and rods comes in mail in a few days, to make the "ailerons" and fasten the outer tailbooms. And produce servo managment of rotation..

"Tailbooms" are made of dual foamboards shaped with a more rounded lower edge, and sharper top.
The tailfin stabs/sidefin gonna be in same height, rather in two different as on the original. That will support the strength and mount of each stabilizer, since made as one part....since the finbooms is approx 20 mm widest at its placements. Then a single thickness foamboard is enough, and no extra support necessary (pluss less weight ;) )

DSC_0999.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
fuselage more or less done in main building. Reason for making that shape of the frontal panels, is to give the model a touch better lift.... even if this will not be seen i suppose on the ready plane, without in some shadowed light. if this is true to the orginal, or not....well, im not shure, but doubt it :D, but its a idea i wanted try :).
( 760mm X 110mm , calculated scale from photos of the original)

DSC_0995 (1).JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
testing of wing , made a little wider in scale wingspan than the original, for better RC glideflying abilitys.

DSC_0996 (1).JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
By its wing servoless electric retracts, is the wheel wells openings and its surrounding "carton board" done. Inside of wing its first a shaped pvc foam part, and then blue foam is here used to fill the gap between the 3D printed mountplates, and the topskin on wing. That will help spread the forces even more, to not get wing damages. (and lightweighted)

DSC_1002.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
As Ronald Reagan once said, "Well, there U go again". Another outstanding one in the end for sure.
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: well...yes!
Was and checked pricetag on decals (the Virgin logo) today... far too expencive :cautious: but have another place with friends who gives me good deals.... they are on holiday though.. If not, i will pick up the airbrush and make it my self.

cyclone3350

Master member
Oooh.. airbrushing decals R fun. Well frustrating @ first me, but once I got the hang of it, I was happy with the result. But if i could buy 'em economically, that will always be my first choice. Used an airbrush for these lightning bolts on waterslide decal paper. It worked out OK. Like I said , would rather buy 'em.

Attachments

• IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0