Virgin Galactic VSS Unity SpaceShipTwo

leaded50

Legendary member
today i learned a "nice purpose of 3D print". I got easy done some wheelcovers, servoarm extension for the front wheel steering, and a mount/bay for the frontwheel servoless retract ! :)
(a friend "tricked me" to try out 3D printing :ROFLMAO::LOL:)

DSC_1011.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
ive made elevon eg. hinges by CF 5mm tubes and 3mm rods today, to ensure strong joint. Sidebooms are glued to the elevons, and will rotate together..... that give me no need for elevator/servo, and others for the ailerons. Controlhorns for rotation will be hidden inside fuselage with the servos in front of the EDF (servos further forwars, out more of the airstream.)

I will try using some 17g servos laying here, hope they are big enough.... I got 20 degree down, and 15 degree up at the "ailerons" that is enough! (suppose more than enough.. )

it begin look realy crazy :LOL::ROFLMAO::love:

DSC_1012b.png
DSC_1013.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
i got a drawback on the build. I believed 4mm cf rod would be strong enough to keep movement of the sidebooms and elevons, as i used as hinge center. Well, it wasnt, i got much flex when actuating the servo movement. The cf rods are nice strong, but not so much in a "twisting" direction.
Only way to solve (?) is going up in dimensions. Not biggest problem, but irritating when the system was done. And using cf tubes, also inside, then i get a change to put in eg. aluminumrod, or other things later to support, if needed.

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
"about time";) i got the hinge/rod for elevons/sideboom wings changed to bigger diameter cf tubes. And got rid of the "twisting slack motion". Now its just to install rear end of fuselage/edf, fix the front wheel steering, and its done ready to fly :)

DSC_1066.JPG

cyclone3350

Master member
I used to be impressed with your airplane builds. Now, I am impressed with your airbrushing. I had to order all new stuff for my airbrushing. I received my benchtop spray booth the other day. I am hoping to use today for making the scale interior on my Cub.

leaded50

Legendary member
I used to be impressed with your airplane builds. Now, I am impressed with your airbrushing. I had to order all new stuff for my airbrushing. I received my benchtop spray booth the other day. I am hoping to use today for making the scale interior on my Cub.
Thanks! Happy to see you liked it. as said somewhere before, i have worked a bit with it as "hobbyartist" before, doing different work in airbrushing/lettering on T-shirts, cars & bikes eg. :)

I got some "mishaps" here in the paint, because needed rewotk the "hinge"-solution, who gave some scratches, and chips, together with cutting extra space for bigger cf tubes. But , at a bit more distance (as flying in air) will not be seen . Also irritating when paint behaves different with clear lacquer outside, even if used same paint/clear. The tailfins looks more silvercloudy, than the fuselage rear who have a bit more chrome shine.

Last edited: