VISTA v2 - a slippery pitcheron

bracesport

Legendary member
I think the Simulator has been helping with the downwind turns rather than just figure eights, and the landing is improving (sadly we will not know for sure until flying again)! :D

bracesport

Legendary member
Well it has been awhile, but I have been thinking about what to do next on this project - there are two main steps required - the first is to epoxy the fuse which is ready and waiting, and then to build the wings.

The fuse is pretty straightforward with the CF braid in place I just need to add the epoxy and wrap it with cling wrap to smooth the surface while curing - this is a technique used to wrap fishing rods.

The wing will be a bit trickier and will need to be built in stages as the tips are symmetrical and the root is semi symmetrical - the spar will be a sine wave (more on that soon) - today I made the 2D templates and will start to prepare the blanks.

Attachments

• root.pdf
    384.3 KB · Views: 0
  • tip.pdf
    415.6 KB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well it has been awhile, but I have been thinking about what to do next on this project - there are two main steps required - the first is to epoxy the fuse which is ready and waiting, and then to build the wings.

The fuse is pretty straightforward with the CF braid in place I just need to add the epoxy and wrap it with cling wrap to smooth the surface while curing - this is a technique used to wrap fishing rods.

The wing will be a bit trickier and will need to be built in stages as the tips are symmetrical and the root is semi symmetrical - the spar will be a sine wave (more on that soon) - today I made the 2D templates and will start to prepare the blanks.

Make sure to take pictures :)

bracesport

Legendary member
I re-printed my tail feathers with added internal ribs - printing went really well - both tailpieces are joined with a connecting rib front and rear - the purpose is to prevent any movement during printing - works well. :)

IMG_9425.JPG
IMG_9426.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
Started prepping my foam for the main wings - the chord is 15mm thick so there will be three pieces of foam used to construct the wings - I will use my handheld hot wire cutter to rough out the chords and then sand and laminate together - the bottom half will be two layers of foam (already glued together) and taper from root to tip down to one thickness - the top lamination will be one layer of foam - sound intriguing - we will see!

The wiggly line will be a vertical spar from CF formed in a wave pattern. :)

IMG_9424.JPG

Last edited:

Boberticus

the wavey spar, are you planning on custom forming some carbon fiber roving with a mold of some sort?

maybe some layup on some polished and release wax covered 3d printed molds?

this is an awesome build.

bracesport

Legendary member
@Boberticus - my loose plan with the wave spar is to make a wave template and hot-wire the wave through the wing - then I will sandwich some paper in the wave to determine the total length - from there I plan to cut two tapered strips of CF and 3M77 each one to the wave halves - after that I will epoxy the front and rear of the wing back together - the two strips of spar will bond together.

Given this is a Pitcheron I also need to add a wing rod tube after the spar is in - then I will sheet the wing with CF - I have some really fine CF sheet (0.8K) - the process will be to 3M77 the CF onto the wings, epoxy and bag (using domestic food bagger). :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Boberticus - my loose plan with the wave spar is to make a wave template and hot-wire the wave through the wing - then I will sandwich some paper in the wave to determine the total length - from there I plan to cut two tapered strips of CF and 3M77 each one to the wave halves - after that I will epoxy the front and rear of the wing back together - the two strips of spar will bond together.

Given this is a Pitcheron I also need to add a wing rod tube after the spar is in - then I will sheet the wing with CF - I have some really fine CF sheet (0.8K) - the process will be to 3M77 the CF onto the wings, epoxy and bag (using domestic food bagger). :)

Make sure you post pictures on the method, sounds really interesting.

bracesport

Legendary member
I roughed out the blanks this morning using the hand hotwire - I use metal guides to run the wire across and a height gauge for the foam thickness to keep the foam flat on the bench as I feed the foam through - the hotwire stays stationary against the height gauge - the great thing about this technique is that it can follow curves.

next stage some sanding. :)

IMG_9449.JPG
IMG_9448.JPG
IMG_9447.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I just realised with this method I could rig up the hot wire to be a fixed system that would free up one hand to focus on feeding the foam through with more accuracy (less post sanding) - I will think on it! :D

Wildthing

Legendary member
I just realised with this method I could rig up the hot wire to be a fixed system that would free up one hand to focus on feeding the foam through with more accuracy (less post sanding) - I will think on it! :D
But then both guide wires would have to be fixed to the foam somehow and you would need a rigid backing.

bracesport

Legendary member
I was thinking the hot-wire would hinge from the front edge - when it hinges over the wire would make contact with the two guides (taped on) - as the hot-wire has some spring tension it would stay in contact with the two guide wires even as they change in distance around the curves - currently I have to hold the hot-wire in one hand and feed the foam with the other (it works, but improvements are always welcomed)! :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
I was thinking the hot-wire would hinge from the front edge - when it hinges over the wire would make contact with the two guides (taped on) - as the hot-wire has some spring tension it would stay in contact with the two guide wires even as they change in distance around the curves - currently I have to hold the hot-wire in one hand and feed the foam with the other (it works, but improvements are always welcomed)! :)
ok, I didn't know you were feeding the foam through. I had the guide wires and foam all taped down and just ran the hot wire over it.

bracesport

Legendary member
This morning I tapered the middle to the tips to thin the overall wing thickness (15mm @root and 8mm @tip) - the sanding all went pretty well.

Next, I laminated the tops and bottoms with 3M77 and applied some sandbags - I then taped the two wings back to back while the glue cures over the weekend.

I also made a wide template to cut the wave for the spar - the paper will come off before I add the spar - I also left some TE thickness for some final sanding before the skins go on (insurance against damage). :)

IMG_9462.JPG
IMG_9463.JPG
IMG_9464.JPG
IMG_9465.JPG
IMG_9466.JPG
IMG_9467.JPG
IMG_9468.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
this morning I had a hankering for sausages, so I mixed up some epoxy and wrapped the fuse with packaging cellophane - it was impossible to wrap the cellophane without wrinkles, but I think it looks worse in the pictures than the first layers of wrapping (which was not too bad) - I always expected to have to do some sanding - you can also see the canopy edge former in place between two layers of the wrap, it should form the joggled edge.

IMG_9517.JPG
IMG_9518.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
this morning I had a hankering for sausages, so I mixed up some epoxy and wrapped the fuse with packaging cellophane - it was impossible to wrap the cellophane without wrinkles, but I think it looks worse in the pictures than the first layers of wrapping (which was not too bad) - I always expected to have to do some sanding - you can also see the canopy edge former in place between two layers of the wrap, it should form the joggled edge.

View attachment 173185 View attachment 173186
I was thinking zucchini :D :D , So what do use 30 minute epoxy ?