VISTA v2 - a slippery pitcheron

Jackson T

Elite member
@Jackson T - thanks man - on the epoxy question, I did not think to do that - wing halves are 95g - I plan to weigh things this week - I was not too worried about the weight as it is a sloper! :)
I'm just curious, as that's one of my biggest unknowns when it comes to potentially making a composite glider. I guess you right, as a sloper it can (and probably should) have quite a bit of weight to it. When do think you'll have it done and flying?

bracesport

Legendary member
getting a bit more of the detail sorted (no sanding of the parts yet) - 3D printed the canopy and tweaked the rotor assembly to ensure the canopy fits - added the 4mm FG pins into the tail assembly - fired up the servos for a quick check - pretty happy so far!

IMG_9780.JPG
IMG_9781.JPG
IMG_9782.JPG
IMG_9783.JPG
IMG_9784.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member

bracesport

Legendary member
@Jackson T - when I wet out the CF and rolled it under the foils I think the epoxy was at a reasonable minimum - in the future I will track the usage as it is certainly easy to over do it! :)

I'm just curious, as that's one of my biggest unknowns when it comes to potentially making a composite glider. I guess you right, as a sloper it can (and probably should) have quite a bit of weight to it. When do think you'll have it done and flying?

bracesport

Legendary member
but wait there's more..

So all in all my expectations were pretty accurate - the AUW without battery, Rx, and CG balancing is 670g - the AUW balanced on the wing rod is 860g - my target was to be about 900g (like most of my ships) - the tail being 3D printed is a factor in this design as it is undoubtably heavier than a FG or CF tail - I think the true balance point was forward of the wing rod, so I think there is a bit of wiggle room to be under 860g - with a couple of lithium Ion 18650s there will not be too much lead to add at the front.

IMG_9802.JPG
IMG_9803.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I added 130g to the nose (lead and batteries) allowing a bit of wiggle room to add the Rx and finalise the CG - the lead is glueing into the nose at the moment - lets look at an update for the AUW - 670 +130 (800g) +Rx. :)

IMG_9864.JPG
IMG_9865.JPG

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
I tested the rotor throws off of the Tx today and everything thing seems to be in order - the Pitcheron wings have their TE going down for UP elevator, and a left roll will have the left wing TE up and right wing TE going down.

I have a whole heap of individual 18650's and a couple of two cells - so I set up a tray in series to accomodate individual cells (easy to charge) and wired up a two cell pack to see if I can charge them - I recycled the 18650 1600 mAh batteries from some old computers at work - in each battery bank there was one dud battery but the rest of them charged up nicely to 4.2v

IMG_9919.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I decided to make the battery pack with a balance charge plug - I found the attached diagram on youtube and for a two-cell it is pretty simple - the outer pins (+/-) are on the main battery pins, with the middle wire to the base join between the batteries - I decided to make a plug so I can use one balance plug for all the battery packs - charging OK so far! :)

IMG_0197.PNG
IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0199.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I have been fiddling around waiting for the next chance to maiden this beast - I think it is going to need a good bit of lift as the calcs come in on wing loading at around 18oz/ft2 which is quite high - the other guys who fly twisties are targeting 14oz/ft2

My issue is the tail is 3D printed and the moment is quite long so this translates into requiring more nose weight to balance things out - I will still maiden this as is to determine if it is a runner, and will consider making some CF tail feathers if need be down the track.

I also have some full-size servos which are quite heavy, but luckily with a twisty, they are centred close to the CG so don't contribute heavily to the tip weighting - obviously if the tail is nice and light everything will be more responsive!

I shouldn't stress too much as the Spitfire has an even higher wing loading and that flew pretty well! :)

bracesport

Legendary member
I also bought a few of these Matec 5/9v micro BEC's - at the moment I don't have enough BEC's kicking around so I have to swap them in and out of the gliders - if these work well, my plan will be to have one for each glider permanently fitted.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 4.33.00 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
Even the stall current on a full-size servo does not look to be excessive either - in my twisty I have two of these, but with them I think they are less likely to stall as they have more torque!

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.37.55 AM.png

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
totally awesome... i love the look of the carbon fibre.... now to locate some that i can afford...
or maybe a should just use my fibreglass i already have.......

quick question what do you think of cutting out the fuselage from foam and then wrapping it in fibreglass... i do not have access to a 3d printer.

the wings i could do... and i kinda wanna make it as light as possible.. due to the fact that i have moderate wind here and not seaside winds....

but amazing job on this... except for the fact that there is NO MAIDEN VIDEO...
I KNOW I KNOW COVID... SAYS IT ALL...
but even a glide test would be awesome