VISTA v2 - a slippery pitcheron

bracesport

Legendary member
well here we go for 2020 - I have a (Ridge Rat) pitcheron prototype on the bench and it looks exciting - this has got the creative juices flowing to design something sexy - I love the Jester V-tail and the Xica T-tail is pretty nice too - I will use these two as the inspiration for a new carbon fibre braided fuse over a 3D printed former - I hope my friend @jonoashton will build one too - I can make the fuselage formers and we can hopefully get together and make some composite wings! :D

Some inspiration and preliminary CAD.

Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 10.52.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 10.46.32 AM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
Based on some great input from some experts, here is the first cut of the wing design using some modern aerofoils - I used an SD7003 semi-symmetrical section at the root and an SD 8020 symmetrical section at the tip! Currently, the root is 175mm and the tip is about 110mm and the thickness is roughly 15mm at 30%! :D

From the experts - First a bit of debunking - despite appearances, there is no advantage whatsoever in twisty wings. The control response is worse than ailerons, the drag is greater than an aileron equipped wing, and you have a vulnerable mechanical contrivance that also can be a bit delicate if not treated with respect (and luck), However, they are neat and look clean (even if they are not). In this design, you first have to decide how far you want to go. Design? Of course, you really want a cool looking model plane with hard to break twisty wings that are completely aerobatic and can do VTPR, but is light, and can thermal like and F3j and also fly in 1Mph winds. Oh, and by the way, you also want a new Ferrari Roma for US$10,000. There is only one problem with those wants - they are impossible. So you can make a model that will do everything you want, kinda, but only one or two of the wants really well. This has some bearing on choosing the aerofoil sections. The closer you get to a fully symmetrical section - the better your aerobatics potential will be, the worse your low wind performance will be. The thinner your section is, the faster your plane will be - but not so good with aerobatics or low wind wants. etc etc.

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 10.14.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 10.15.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 10.16.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 10.16.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 10.17.05 AM.png

Last edited:

Piotrsko

Master member
Gonna tip stall like you wouldn't believe.

" Rastisfrassen musta rastisfrasses sloper. " (Muttley, from Wacky Racers cartoons)

bracesport

Legendary member
@Piotrsko - I was guided to have a symmetrical tip section to assist in the avoidance of tip stall characteristics - what is your thinking to improve this design?